Having issues with adding a EN2TR into CompactLogix IO tree.

HoldenC

Im trying to read some data from a ControlLogix with a CompactLogix. I was going to a MSG instruction.

However, I cant seem to get an error to clear up in the IO tree of the CompactLogix. I have added the EN2TR module (located in the ControlLogix), into the IO tree, but I get an module fault.

(Code 16#0109) Connection Request Error: Invalid connection Size.

I have made sure that the rack size, and slot location are correct for the ControlLogix that I am connecting to.

Would anyone be able to offer any advice ?

When you added the remote EN2TR you were essentially adding a remote chassis. The default size for a remote chassis is 17 slots. Open that configuration and change it to match the correct chassis size.

OG

EDIT: to follow up on Alan's comment...it is not required to add the remote modules to your I/O configuration. It is helpful, but not required. You could also enter a numeric path. It is a little tricky if you've never done it before. It requires that you identify the steps between your controller and the remote CPU. For example:

Message Path from CompactLogix to the CLX: 2,192.168.1.15,1,0

2 = The message will exit your controller via the built-in EtherNet/IP port
192.168.1.15 = The IP address of the remote EN2TR module
1 = Pass from the Ethernet module to the chassis backplane
0 = The slot # in the remote chassis where the CPU is located

Message Path from CLX to the CompactLogix: 1, 5, 2, 192.168.1.14

1 = Go to the chassis backplane
5 = The slot # where the EN2TR is located
2 = Send the message out the Ethernet port
192.168.1.14 = The IP address for my CompactLogix

In my example, the ControlLogix doesn't have a built-in Ethernet port. Thus, the need for the EN2TR. Because of this, we must specify the path between the controller and the Ethernet module. This is not necessary for the CompactLogix since its Ethernet port is included on the controller. And note I just selected slot numbers here as an example. You would use the correct slot number for your application.

Last edited:
As other people said - not need to have it at all. Just delete it and path will revert to the normal notation described above.
But if you want to have it then change connection type from Rack Optimization to None and make sure EN2T slot is correct.

Agree, set Rack Optimization to None. It defaults on. That should remove any expectation on "size". That unfortunately will probably require deleting and readding the module.

OG

Last edited: