Remote PLC/HMI access 4G/WiFi/LAN

Hi all,

What is everybody using for getting access to remote machines PLC/HMI local network for snagging and debugging from their desk ?

We have never used anything like this before so not entirely sure how they work, i'm presuming they use some sort of DyDNS service to announce themselves once on the internet and allow a VPN connection from there, or do we need a device at both ends for ultimate flexibility ?

We ideally need something with 5G, WiFi and LAN connection as sites differ on connectivity, all suggestions and a small description of architecture welcome!

I haven't personally used them, but I know that e W o n offers a lot of options for this. I think they essentially offer a VPN connection to the local/machine network, but I'm not sure if it's seamless or what. I've been looking into these for a customer recently, hoping to get a couple of them to put into skids so that the skid vendors can connect remotely to troubleshoot the units. Another option would be Automation Direct's StrideLinx units, but I'm not sure what their shipping to the UK would cost.

Again, I haven't personally used either of these products so I can't vouch for them, but they are fairly common in the field.

I haven't personally used them, but I know that e W o n offers a lot of options for this. I think they essentially offer a VPN connection to the local/machine network, but I'm not sure if it's seamless or what. I've been looking into these for a customer recently, hoping to get a couple of them to put into skids so that the skid vendors can connect remotely to troubleshoot the units. Another option would be Automation Direct's StrideLinx units, but I'm not sure what their shipping to the UK would cost.

Again, I haven't personally used either of these products so I can't vouch for them, but they are fairly common in the field.

Cheers, just been reading up about the Tosibox ones as somebody else suggested this off the forum, they seem like they may do the trick

Don't know about the others but e w o n has the machine create a VPN connection to their servers, you make a VPN connection to their servers, and e w o n joins the ends together. It isn't exactly like being on the same network, some lower level stuff doesn't work, but stuff where you connect by IP address is fine.

Your connection to their servers can be using a program called eCatcher, and then whatever software you need to connect to or program the devices. This gives the greatest function and flexibility. Or you can use a system called M2Web, you bypass the eCatcher and use a web browser to get web or VNC connections, plus others. You can connect using an Android or Apple device, if the machine devices have say web pages, or again VNC connections.

The advantage of both ends connecting to a server is that you don't care how either end gets an Internet connection, just so long as it does get that Internet connection.

Don't know about the others but e w o n has the machine create a VPN connection to their servers, you make a VPN connection to their servers, and e w o n joins the ends together. It isn't exactly like being on the same network, some lower level stuff doesn't work, but stuff where you connect by IP address is fine.

Your connection to their servers can be using a program called eCatcher, and then whatever software you need to connect to or program the devices. This gives the greatest function and flexibility. Or you can use a system called M2Web, you bypass the eCatcher and use a web browser to get web or VNC connections, plus others. You can connect using an Android or Apple device, if the machine devices have say web pages, or again VNC connections.

The advantage of both ends connecting to a server is that you don't care how either end gets an Internet connection, just so long as it does get that Internet connection.

Thanks for the insight, I was curious about the actual implementation and what it's like to actually use the software.

I've used the named above and the stridelinx from automation direct. I prefer the stridelinx.

I've used the named above and the stridelinx from automation direct. I prefer the stridelinx.

Was there anything in particular that made the StrideLinx easier to work with? They seem to be a little bit cheaper at least.

I think this concept is called a rendezvous server, btw, if you're reading technical details. e w o n definitely isn't the only brand that offers it, but from what I hear they are one of the easiest to use for connecting just a few machines.

For large systems it can make sense to use a system where you control your own server, and run someone's VPN server on it. A lot of big companies prefer "private cloud" concepts where they are in control instead of trusting someone else's infrastructure.

A lot of big companies prefer "private cloud" concepts where they are in control instead of trusting someone else's infrastructure.

One of our large clients uses Cisco AnyConnect for their corporate/enterprise networking, you log in and you can browse the local server just like you're sitting in their office. I was curious how the VPN routers operated compared to that experience.

The M2web sounds good if one wants to provide some access to viewing a few critical data-points without actually VPN into the control network. How much functionality is M2Web? Does it just allow values or some basic graphic?

Does Stridelinx have the equivalent to M2web?

Was there anything in particular that made the StrideLinx easier to work with? They seem to be a little bit cheaper at least.

The stridelinx is more user friendly and easier to setup in my opinion. I have service techs that regularly obtain access to hmi's with the stridelinx, plus they do the initial setup at install. The other brand takes a lot more training to accomplish the same thing. But a disclaimer, I haven't used the other brand in several years, the user interface may be better now, I dont know.

+1 Stridelinx

Way easier to setup and maintain plus it has its own Android / Apple app to make connection using mobile easier.

300+ e w o n s installed here. Occasional unit will not connect to the internet when newly configured out of the box. A complete reset fixes it though. Also tried i x o n, just as good.

The M2web sounds good if one wants to provide some access to viewing a few critical data-points without actually VPN into the control network.
You still VPN on to the machine, but e w o n take care of that part and you just go in through a webpage on their system.
So following on from that, M2web itself wouldn't have graphics ability, you could program web pages within devices on the machine. Or, there are two versions of the e w o n, the Cosy/+ gives remote access to a machine, the Flexy gives remote access and will collect/publish data using:
Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP, Uni-Telway, EtherNet/IP, DF1, FINS TCP, FINS Hostlink, ISO TCP, PPI, MPI, Profibus, Mitsubishi FX, Hitachi EH, ASCII
And they have some software called Vie w o n that allows you to create an HMI within the e w o n. You would still VPN either with eCatcher or M2web, then you would go to a webpage within the Flexy to see the display. Don't ask me questions on this, I haven't used it, I just know that it is there.

One other thing e w o n are generally used within the e w o n VPN system, but you can have it VPN in to your own system if you want. You need some knowledge and they don't offer tech support for it, but they do have documentation to get you started. Of course you then take a chunk of responsibility in making sure that your VPN system is secure and safe.

Another vote for Stridelinx. They're made by i x o n. They are good quality and set up could not be easier. We use them with Red Lion HMIs and with teh phone app, end users as well as our team can remote access the HMI and receive email alerts. The VPN feature allows remote access to controls on the LAN using so we can access the hardware with RSLogix or other software for Ethernet based hardware they might have.