How can i get Siemens SCADA license

V7 is a full blown SCADA... it's not just a license, but a whole lot of things to account for like Operating System, etc...

500 tags also seem very low for a SCADA system (assuming it's all brand new), so do you mean SCADA or HMI?

I have 500 I/O is that small?!

As i know the tags is the I/O

V7 is a full blown SCADA... it's not just a license, but a whole lot of things to account for like Operating System, etc...

500 tags also seem very low for a SCADA system (assuming it's all brand new), so do you mean SCADA or HMI?

That's the question I was going to ask.

Since I left the UK and came to Canada I find they talk SCADA when they mean HMI.

From his description of the system it does sound more HMI than SCADA.

To me, SCADA systems have always been site wide systems linked to multiple PLC's and maybe multiple sites. A HMI is usually linked to a single PLC on a site for local control.

In Rockwell world the difference would be ME and SE, I believe the equivalent for Siemens would be RT Advanced and RT Professional.

Sounds like the OP should be looking at a RT Advanced development and runtime.

I have 500 I/O is that small?!

As i know the tags is the I/O

You haven't answered some of the questions and it looks like you don't know yet. So another approach you could take is describe the application and the hardware you have, general description.
What kind of logging, recipes and control are you looking for.
What is the purpose of the system addition?

That's the question I was going to ask.

Since I left the UK and came to Canada I find they talk SCADA when they mean HMI.

From his description of the system it does sound more HMI than SCADA.

To me, SCADA systems have always been site wide systems linked to multiple PLC's and maybe multiple sites. A HMI is usually linked to a single PLC on a site for local control.

In Rockwell world the difference would be ME and SE, I believe the equivalent for Siemens would be RT Advanced and RT Professional.

Sounds like the OP should be looking at a RT Advanced development and runtime.

Our system has single PLC with maybe 20 module of i/o connected via ethernet.

The system is water purification plant, they need SCADA to control and monitor the plant, they also need 10 different types of reports and database, it's not HMI at all.

You haven't answered some of the questions and it looks like you don't know yet. So another approach you could take is describe the application and the hardware you have, general description.
What kind of logging, recipes and control are you looking for.
What is the purpose of the system addition?

Sorry, maybe i didn't notice the questions. Anyway i have Micrologic 1400 PLC with almost 20 module of I/O connected via Ethernet.

The system is water purification plant, they need to control and monitor the plant with saving data to database and make 10 types of reports...etc.

I just want to connect PLC with Siemens SCADA software via Modbus. So, i asked to know what is the best software and what needed licenses are.

Micrologix 1400

As I understood that you have a Micrologix 1400 with 20 modules (Racks) of I/O.

My question is: Is the Micrologix 1400 capable of handling 20 racks?
Or do you mean 20 modules = 20 cards?

Hagos

Last edited:
Sorry, maybe i didn't notice the questions. Anyway i have Micrologic 1400 PLC with almost 20 module of I/O connected via Ethernet.

The system is water purification plant, they need to control and monitor the plant with saving data to database and make 10 types of reports...etc.

I just want to connect PLC with Siemens SCADA software via Modbus. So, i asked to know what is the best software and what needed licenses are.

Have a look at the first few pages of any TIA manual, there's a description of the different versions of WinCC and their capabilities and options.
Determine if you will be using Siemens or a PC, the latter will need RT license.
Write out a list of requirements and be as detailed as possible, how much logging, historical, recipes and how are the going to be stoed, shared,accessed,represented etc.

You will be choosing between WinCC RT Advanced or Professional, likely the first and with a simatic panel so that you don't have to worry about a Runtime license but all those requirements I listed are have to be answered to determine the options you need and their associated cost.
If you have access to either versions of the software create a project and start adding the components and see if you're finding what you need.

This document will answer many or all of your questions. It lists support for communication with micrologix 1400

Key word and concepts to understand:

SIMATIC WinCC (TIA Portal) Engineering or Simatic WinCC SE (Software Engineering):
That is the programming software, the development tool, the software where you will create the screens, alarms, tags, scripts, trends etc.

SIMATIC WinCC (TIA Portal) Runtime:

This is the operating system installed on the HMI, IPC, PC,Panel etc. This the software/operating system that will run the program you developed in Simatic WinCC Engineering.

Software engineering license is independent from the runtime license.

You can purchase a Simatic Panel (IPC) with installed software and license to match the options you require. Basically like buying a Comfort Panel, no additional license is required.

Or you can purchase and industrial PC, or any PC for that matter and purchase both windows operating system and WinCC Runtime software and license to match your requirements.

I've always found Siemens licensing to be confusing and at it always best to contact a dealer but this document will aid in narrowing down your questions so that the dealer may give you direct answers.

Other links:
Siemens WinCC and Panel PC

PLC-CITY to get a general idea of pricing of different products.