Anyone take the UL508A MTR Qualification Exam yet?

UL MTR success!

Passed with a 90% overall, but it is a tough test. I may have over-prepared, but better safe than sorry.
For what it's worth:
-I watched the UL provided training video and took COPIOUS notes, making sure I noted what was on the power-point as well as what the presenter said (there were times that they didn't match 100%)
-I also watched a couple Bussman, Siemens etc videos about SCCR, Group Motor, and general UL508A, took plenty of notes as well.
I had a paper and electronic version of my notes, the standard, Supplement SA all ready to go. - spent lots of time searching for specific phrases or wordings from the questions. My iQ webpage was open and ready.
-The question wordings can be tricky and confusing, read carefully.
-
I thought the test was going to be one 4-hour sitting of 4 sections, but it is broken up into 4 2-hour sections, that can be taken a-la-cart. I took two on Saturday and two on Sunday, reviewing my notes for each section beforehand.
-
-Take your time, read carefully, and good luck!

I took it once and thought it was tricky, there was stuff that was not in the standard. Then I watched the 12-part course that they offer online (free until 2/1). They mentioned the things I thought were missing from the standard, I took a lot of notes. I passed it the second time.

cannot find the 12-part course can anyone help ????

Funny. I started this thread exactly one year ago an I finally plunged in and took the test. Passed 1st time. Overall 93.75%.

The training I mentioned in my previous post was very good and helped a lot.

The deadline to have at least one qualified MTR on staff is approaching.

I actually took the test in the car on an iPad tethered to my phone while my wife drove us back from visiting our daughter. It was a bit risky due to the time limit and possibility of losing the internet. But worked out.

Just took the exam with minimal time to study and if it wasn't for the trick questions or poorly worded questions I would of passed, almost did. For example; one question lists five types of panels and asks which four are required to have a "Short Circuit Control Rating", maybe Control is a typo? One of the choices is "A panel with only one power circuit", is circuit also a typo for component? if it only has one component then it does not fall under the scope of 508A. There were also several other questions that were very debatable where I could probably regain the few points needed to get over an 80 if I was able to challenge those questions.

If there is an option to take the test in parts I certainly did not see that. The scope of the exam says it has to be taken in one 4 hour sitting and while taking the exam the timer kept going at the end of each section, there was no option to stop and take a break.

Last edited:
Everything I read says the test has to be taken in one 4 hour sitting and I did not see any options for a break after each section so how were you able to do it in parts?

It is in 4 parts. Each with a 2 hour time limit.
Each part is its own module.
You need to score at least 80% on each part to pass.
You do not have to take the parts consecutively or even on the same day.
I actually did part 4 before part 3.
You have to agree not to tell about the test or record anything but since my UL contact told me about the 4 parts before I took the test I figure that’s not really giving anything away.

The format may have been different before but that is what it is as of yesterday.

If there is an option to take the test in parts I certainly did not see that. The scope of the exam says it has to be taken in one 4 hour sitting and while taking the exam the timer kept going at the end of each section, there was no option to stop and take a break.

I just went to the dashboard after logging in at www.UL.com/lms then selected Enrollment Key. Typed in the key: UL508AMTR.

Then I had 4 test sections under that “course” in the system. Each one was an individual test independent of the others.

If you registered earlier (before the new 4-part format was introduced), then you are still able to take the old 80-question format. I had that option myself, but there was also a notice with a link to go to the new format test if you so choose.

I just went to the dashboard after logging in at www.UL.com/lms then selected Enrollment Key. Typed in the key: UL508AMTR.

Then I had 4 test sections under that “course” in the system. Each one was an individual test independent of the others.

I took the test in 4 parts last week using the above key, which was sent to me in an email.

I called UL to find out why I couldn't access the four separate sections and it was a setting on their end that they quickly fixed. Now I can access the four parts individually. One four hour sitting with no break was kind of rough.