Log on Factory Talk problem

Normally after renaming the PC you need to re-run that tool. Just supply user name and password and in a moment all is good. Glad you were able to get it working, but curious what errors you were getting. I renamed PCs frequently and never ran into issues.

OG

So the error was something along the lines of "could not find *computer name*" whenever I tried running the directory tool.

Ran into a similar error yesterday. This time it was due to the fact that I was remoting into the PC with Rockwell. I had to add the remote machine into Factorytalk Administration Console so that the windows authentication would work.

On Factorytalk Administration Console the path was Network-->system-->Computers and Groups-->Computers.

For those still dealing with this issue, i found a miracle solution from a user in a different forum.

You can run run C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Rockwell\silentFTDCW to reset it

Hope this helps!

The miracle is real

I just wanted to confirm the miracle is real. I found that post on the other forum - from a user Big Dave in Melbourne Australia, he has one post on the forum, which is the one referenced above, and I have no idea how he found that little hidden Rockwell gem, but it works like a charm.

More specifically, the tool works really well in the case where you are trying to remove a client from a network FTD but no longer have access to the FTD host computer (ie as an integrator, might have had a VM as a temporary client on an end user's system, but back in the office I want to convert network FTD back to localhost and am not on the their network anymore). When trying to use Rockwell's normal tools for this, you get a prompt for credentials on the current FTD and that fails as you aren't on that network any more. This silent tool bypasses that prompt and just resets the network FTD back to default config and localhost.

Last edited:
Thanks

I want to say thanks for the info.

I had recently changed my computer name and had the problem described above.

I wan nice to get the fix and 5:30 am and then able to get on with the day.

I dont know if the silentFTDCW mentioned above does the same thing,
good to know there is already something integrated.

We solved those type of problems always with the
"FactoryTalk View Studio: Restore Directory (ResDir) Utility" (ResDir.exe) which can be downloaded from the Rockwell support page.

Not sure this is useful: But if you just renamed your PC, it will cause this issue. If you rename your computer back to the exact name it just was it will resolve the issue. (If you can't remember your PC name, go look the autosave files from RSLogix, the name should be imbedded in one of those)

Good luck! :)

This Work for me!!

Thanks

Try this (I found this in other post):
---------
For those still dealing with this issue, i found a miracle solution from a user in a different forum.

You can run run C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Rockwell\silentFTDCW to reset it

Hope this helps!
----------

Found this in other Post:
------------------------------------------

Hope this helps!

It works for me!!

Try this (I found this in other post):
---------

Hope this helps!
----------
Lot of thanks!
Solved my issue!!!

Found this in other Post:

Hope this helps!

It works for me!!

Thank you Juan. After renaming my computer i solved the problem with this way

Hope this helps!
Absolutely legendary find! This worked on a server environment that I did not have admin access to.