Backup parameters from Powerflex P4

Katronite

Hi guys.

I´ve been asked a question from one of my costumers.

They have an old machine, with 30'ish powerflex 4 units installed. 1 master for every 5 connected through DSI with node setup, via a Comm card.

The company that made the machine, doesnt exist no more, so they have a heap of problems, everytime one of the powerflexes goes bad.

Now, I have only made backup through my HIM unit with copycat, but have newer thought about backing that data up.

My HIM unit is one of the smaller models, so can only store 4 powerflexes. My question is then...

Is it possible to connect my PC through the DSI port, and do backup of them all, one by one?
Is it possible to store a HIM backup on my PC.?

Can I do a parameter back via RSLinx through connected devices.?

Is it by any means possible to do a digital backup on all drivesparamters, for the costumer to keep. Makes it a lot easier for them, if they need to change a powerflex.

Yes, it is possible to have a digital backup of all the drives for the customer. The best solution I can think of at the moment is utilizing Allen Bradley's DSI to USB adapter (part #1203-USB) and importing the configurations through the Drive Executive software. You should still be able to get a copy of the software from Rockwell's site via the downloads page. I believe there used to be a free version of Drive Executive available, not sure if that is still the case.

Link to software details:

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...motors/drive-software/9303-drivetools-sp.html

Link to USB adapter details:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/drives-um001_-en-p.pdf

To save time, it would be beneficial for you to contact your local Allen Bradley Authorized Distributer and I am confident they would send you a link or copy of Drive Executive if you are qualified to receive it. Good luck!

I have Drive Explorer. Will that work to?
Drive Explorer sounds familiar, but that is not the product I am referring to. I have only used Drive Executive for the DSI backups, perhaps another member has experience with the Explorer product that you're mentioning.

Drive Explorer sounds familiar, but that is not the product I am referring to. I have only used Drive Executive for the DSI backups, perhaps another member has experience with the Explorer product that you're mentioning.

I also have Connected Components installed, but guessing its not usable with PF4.
I have used Drive Explorer before, but only on PF40 with Ethernet.

Yes, I believe DriveExplorer in conjunction with the proper cable can get the job done. I always recommend making a spreadsheet of all the parameters for each drive too. Usually just the "modified constants" or non-default parameters are enough. The reason is that you can't dump your saved file into a new VFD with different firmware and Allen Bradley updates their drive firmware on average about every 3 days.

When I worked in a plant with a shedload of AB drives, it was a pleasant surprise when the new VFD had the same firmware as the old one both times that I had such luck. Firmware differences can break HIM copycat functionality too, but the tech on shift can always get 'r dun with a nicely formatted printed list.

Yes, I believe DriveExplorer in conjunction with the proper cable can get the job done. I always recommend making a spreadsheet of all the parameters for each drive too. Usually just the "modified constants" or non-default parameters are enough. The reason is that you can't dump your saved file into a new VFD with different firmware and Allen Bradley updates their drive firmware on average about every 3 days.

When I worked in a plant with a shedload of AB drives, it was a pleasant surprise when the new VFD had the same firmware as the old one both times that I had such luck. Firmware differences can break HIM copycat functionality too, but the tech on shift can always get 'r dun with a nicely formatted printed list.

Thumbs up for this one. (y)
Try to retrieve a decent cable then. I guess it could be possible to "downgrade" the firmware, load the parameters, and then upgrade??

But never the less, A good old fashioned analog hardcopy could be good to do at the same time.

Thumbs up for this one. (y)
Try to retrieve a decent cable then. I guess it could be possible to "downgrade" the firmware, load the parameters, and then upgrade??

But never the less, A good old fashioned analog hardcopy could be good to do at the same time.
Yeah I 100% agree on the hardcopy of the non-default parameters. Me and the other techs used to print these off and put them right in the panels with the other documentation. We found that even the mechanics could install a new drive this way. No laptop needed, no cables, no software, no WiFi, no coprorate network access needed, etc. etc. etc. They appreciated having these docs right in the panel and it saved our skins many times.

I guess it could be possible to "downgrade" the firmware, load the parameters, and then upgrade??

That would be the extra long and dangerous path to grandma's house. It would be akin to taking a hang-glider over a treacherous mountain when you could just walk a half a mile and get there in half the time with no risk of crashing into the jagged cliff side.

That would be the extra long and dangerous path to grandma's house. It would be akin to taking a hang-glider over a treacherous mountain when you could just walk a half a mile and get there in half the time with no risk of crashing into the jagged cliff side.

Grandma can wait. I am sure she will love to hear about your adventure:
https://www.flyteam.info/en

In seriousness though, I am 100% behind keeping an as-built copy of the modified drive parameters with the documentation.

I have a similar set up that I look after. There are/were 60 PF4M in the cabinet.
As they go up in smoke one by one, I replace them with 523. Really only a few parameters so I made a cheat sheet in case there is a tech on staff that can handle the swap. The only difference is the node address 1 - 5 depending on the drive position. Set the Baud to 19.2K, set the start, speed sources and motor params and up n running. I never even bothered going through and uploading al these parameters as its a really simple system of conveyors and I can program a new drive quicker at the keypad then I can connect and download parameters.

Just saying. A quick cheat sheet in the cabinet telling them how to set up the new drive might be more straight forward then having them plug in a laptop. Or set a drive up for them as a spare, leaving only the node address to be changes at the time of use. Providing they are all the same horsepower or close to it.

Connected Components Workbench is kindof a pain in comparison to the old no-long supported DriveExecutive when it comes to pulling parameters off one drive because of all the bloated unneeded features, but it really shines when you have a machine with multiple drives. All the drives (and HMI and PLC program if you are using Panelview800 or Micro800s) are all saved in one archive, which make it easy to maintain.