Messaging over Ethernet between MicroLogix1500/NET-ENI and CompactLogix

I'm trying to use Messaging between my two PLCs.

Components:
MicroLogix 1500 LRP series C
CompactLogix 1769-L33ER
1761-NET-ENI D connected to serial port on MicroLogix 1500
unmanaged network switch

I want to either
1. use messages in the MicroLogix 1500 to read and write data in the CompactLogix, or
2. use messages in the CompactLogix PLC to read and write data in the MicroLogix 1500.

I have the MicroLogix 1500 serial port connected to the serial port on the 1761-NET-ENI. I have setup the IP address in the NET-ENI. I connected the NET-ENI's Ethernet port to an unmanaged switch. I can ping the NET-ENI from my laptop. I can see the MicroLogix 1500 in RSLynx on an Ethernet driver, and I can go online with the MicroLogix 1500 with RSLogix500 on an Ethernet connection.

I have the CompactLogix PLC connected to the same network switch as above. The CompactLogix processor has a built-in Ethernet port, and I assigned its Ethernet address. I can ping the CompactLogix from my laptop. I can go online with the CompactLogix with RSLogix5000.

IP Addresses
NET-ENI
IP address 100.100.100.001
Mask 255.255.0.0

CompactLogix
IP address 100.100.100.002
Mask 255.255.0.0

Laptop
IP address 100.100.100.099
Mask 255.255.0.0

My intent is to use messaging to read and write data between the two PLCs, so I setup the NET-ENI messaging tab with Node Number 45 as IP address 100.100.100.002.

I cannot get Messaging to work, neither with an MSG block in the MicroLogix ladder nor with an MSG block in the CompactLogix ladder.

It looks to me that my CompactLogix processor is in slot 0 on that PLC rack. My RSLogix5000 screen shows:
1769 Bus
[0]1769-L33ER

ETHERNET
1769-L33ER

I don’t care which PLC does the messaging. I can have the MicroLogix1500 read data in the CompactLogix PLC, and I can have the MicroLogix write to data registers in the CompactLogix PLC. It can be the reverse, too.
I tried a few variations. Here’s an example of how I tried to read data in the CompactLogix. I used an MSG statement in a rung on the MicroLogix1500.
This Controller
Communication Command: 500CPURead
Data Table Address: N21:0
Size in Elements: 10

Target Device
Data Table Address: N21:0
Local Node Addr (dec): 45

Then I did the following in the CompactLogix PLC:
Created a new tag called ML1500_Data, with INT[10] as the data type.
Under Logix>Map PLC/SLC Messages, I entered 21 for the File Number and selected ML1500_Data as the corresponding tag.

I downloaded the updated programs to each PLC and went online. The rung in the MicroLogix1500 that has the message statement also has a XIC contact, B3:0/1 “Read Data” that I can toggle. I get an ER when I activate the rung in the MicroLogix 1500.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Did you configure the message routing using the 1761-NET-ENI config tool? (MicroLogix Ethernet Interface manual, 1761-um006_-en-p.pdf, chapter 5)

If you’re going to message from the MicroLogix 1500 to the CompactLogix you need to setup in the CompactLogix a SLC Mapping table. In RSLogix5000 got to “Logic” at the top of the page and select “Map PLC/SLC Messages…” and then select the file number in the MicroLogix and link it to a tag in the Logix. For example, if you want to read “N7:0” in the MicroLogix then in the mapping table select file number 7 and link it to a tag that the message instruction will use.
If you go from the CompactLogix to the MicroLogix then all you need to do is create the message instruction in the CompactLogix, use a “Message Type” of either a “SLC Typed Read” or “SLC Typed Write”, if you’re reading from the 1500 the “Source Element” will be the file your reading (N7:0 for example) or if you’re writing to the 1500 the “Destination Element” will be the file in the 1500 (again N7:0) and then you need to make sure you have the path in the “Communication” tab set correctly. This is where most people get it wrong. With a local Ethernet port (built into the processor) the path should be “LocalENB, 2, (ip address of the NET-ENI). “LocalENB” points the message at the Ethernet port, “2” tells it that it’s Ethernet/IP and of course the IP address is what it is.

I'll second Firejo's recommendation that it's a lot easier to initiate the MSG instruction in the CompactLogix.

No Tag/Data File mapping, no DF1/IP network address mapping, and no configuration messages to the Net-ENI will be required.

Because you have a 1769-L33ER, the Ethernet port and the CPU are considered to be integral to one another, so you don't even need the label for the local Ethernet interface: "2, 100.100.100.001" in the CIP path field is all you need.

2, 100.100.100.001" in the CIP path field is all you need.

It did the trick. Thanks!

I found that putting LocalENB in the path would not work. Just using 2, <ip address> was successful.

Good way to start the week.