Explosion and fire.... son of a )!(*&#

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
So I had a older laptop plugged in and charging... it blew up 3 times, sounded like my 12 gauge every time, I am so lucky that I was here or my business would of been up in smoke

This is after I brought it outside...the battery was still on fire and blew up two more times outside

20170818_133413.jpg

I knew the battery was dead, its a old one that I only use for Step5 and running XP SP2, I normally unplug it once im done but I was trying to get a few more things done and left it plugged in, I went to my other room and 30 min later heard ""BANG"" went in and saw the fire.... that would of truly suck!

I have old Dell 610 with dead battery continuously plugged in.
I better remove the battery now.
I use it for my CNC router time to time. No reason to have a battery.

Although not always viable where posssible I try and use virtual machines for older generations of software

I too have now pulled the dead battery from a laptop as well now though...

I have an old dell for my garage computer. No more leaving it plugged in.

Lucky it wasn't on your lap.

Glad no one got hurt.

Was it a genuine dell battery or a generic?

Was it a genuine dell battery or a generic?

Not sure, I know it was not the original one... least I dont think it was, but I know it would not hold a charge

My shop still stinks, I see why they have the warning labels "do not incinerate" these are like M80's

Contr_Conn said:
No reason to have a battery.

Same here I have no idea why I have one installed (had one)

raffles said:
Although not always viable where posssible I try and use virtual machines for older generations of software

Yes I run a lot of VM's but because of what sell I have to have every OS so if a customer is having issues I can try and duplicate them

(((little more off topic)))

When I was in my early 20's I lived with my sister, I refinished furniture as a hobby... I just stripped a table in her garage and was heading off to work (worked afternoons) I got in my truck and started to drive away but forgot my sunglasses, went back into the house and started looking for them, I opened the garage door and nothing but white smoke.... again God saved my stupid ***, I could not imagine burning down her family's home, it was the stripper on the rags that were combusting and were making a good go at becoming flames, because everyone else was at work the place would of just went up

Wow, that's freaky since we all have one device or another charging at one time or another.

I also leaves my home PC running most of the time when I'm home, even if I'm not in front it. A science podcast guy mentioned once his home PC's power supply went up in smoke and he was lucky that he was in front of it. Makes me nervous all the time now. Too many stuff with batteries in them....

Wow, that's freaky since we all have one device or another charging at one time or another.

I also leaves my home PC running most of the time when I'm home, even if I'm not in front it. A science podcast guy mentioned once his home PC's power supply went up in smoke and he was lucky that he was in front of it. Makes me nervous all the time now. Too many stuff with batteries in them....

Yep and now I have changed a few things at my shop, I have power strips that I shut off and that kills 90% of the electronics now when I leave... older laptops that are only used with power applied no longer have batteries installed.

Not sure what to do at home, I definitely think about it when I plug in the cell phone or tablet and let them charge overnight

I think a lot had to do with the battery pack being old, I had it plug in for about 2 hours before it got hot enough to start on fire