ABB Drive Parameter Backup

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've been asked to take full parameter backups of a series of ABB drives for a customer. There's about 20 ACS355 drives, and then one single ACS580 because...yeah, no idea.

From what I've been able to find, the ACS355 will need DriveWindow Light, which is a paid software, and the ACS580 will need DriveComposer, which has a free and a paid version. It appears that the free version would be capable of taking a parameter backup.

Anyone here have a little more experience with ABB drives that can (a) confirm or correct my initial findings, and (b) tell me if there's any free software tools that can back up the ACS355's?

Any other tips/tricks/inside knowledge that would be useful in the process?

You can do a backup to the HMI unit.

What I was used to do when I had several unit was:
1.configure one
2.backup into screen
3. Put that screen on other drive unit
4.load the backup.

I can say yes that DriveWindow Light 2 works with the ACS355 and allows you to back up to a computer.

You can backup Settings on to a control panel (the panel that fits in the front of the drive), but I don't think you can transfer it off to a computer from there, only from there to other drives.

Thanks Bryan. I know that you can back up to the control panel (and all the drives have them) but the customer wants a software backup on their server for resiliency purposes.

I used to use drive window light a while back for ACS355s and ACS550s.
I configured and backed up parameters with it.
It is very easy to connect and use. I do like abb drives, just don't have the opportunity to use them like i was before.

Sorry i cannot recall all the steps for the software but abb tech support is free and they will walk you right through it if you need.
I think drive window light is about $150-250usd.

Thanks Bill. Back when I was a lowly electrical apprentice I remember using some software to back up ACS350 and ACS550 drives - it probably was Drive Window Light - and I remember it to be pretty straightforward. So I'm sure I'll work it out again!

The biggest memory I have from that process was learning that ACS350 drives can be configured to get their speed reference from the keypad, and if so, there's another setting that controls the behaviour of the drive if the keypad is removed. One of the options is "stop drive". I know this because one of the drives was configured that way, and you have to remove the keypad to plug in the cable to take a backup. Learning that was a memorable experience for younger me.

Ahh Yes maybe parameter 3002?

Most of the time if i remember right i was able to stop the line/machine out of auto before my backups.

I remember doing many risky things when i was apprentice status, things i might be reluctant to do now, since knowing a little more.

I also recommend exporting the 'modified parameters' list to a spreadsheet editor and printing them out. Someday, you will run into a firmware mismatch or some other hassle that will prevent you from loading your nice and tidy saved file into a new drive and you'll need a way to hand enter them. Having a printed copy in a panel pouch near the relevant VFDs will also give the poor person who ends up replacing a failed drive a good shot at completing the work without having to find a laptop, software, files, cable, etc.