Homing two Kinetx with only one switch

bella

Hello,

I have an application with two servos (drived by Kintex 5700) that will move a load vertically. I only have one Home position switch wired to one of them. I was wondering what it the best way to do a home with this setup?

Thank you.

Are you using a dual-axis Kinetix 5700 or two independently powered servos ?

Are the servos mechanically coupled ? Do you need to be able to run a Home routine on them separately ?

My instinct is to wire the Home sensor to a pair of solid-state relays so you can keep the Home inputs isolated from one another but still fast and repeatable.

Are you using a dual-axis Kinetix 5700 or two independently powered servos ?

They are single-axis drives and they will be mechanically coupled to the same mechanism that moves the load up and down. So, yes, they must always move in the same direction and at the same speed, including the homing.

Two mechanically-coupled axes makes this trickier. I have not done such an application and it's a terrific question for the forum.

Are the two servos intended to share the work of lifting a single vertical load, or are they lifting mechanisms that are bridged or otherwise connected together ?

I don't know if you could run one of the Kinetix axes geared to the other (MAG) during a Homing (MAH) cycle.

If you can, then once the one with its own Home sensor has completed the homing cycle and they're both stationary, you can use its .ActualPosition to set the position of the other servo with a MAH in "Immediate" mode.

Last edited:
I did a project where I virtually geared 4 servo motors based on an encoder attached to another conveyor so I would suggest virtually gearing them if you can. If the servos need to behave exactly the same then MAG makes sense to me.

Don't know the capabilities of this particular drive but this sounds like an application that should be a master-slave setup. Master does the position processing and the slave drive follows along sharing the load.

Ken