How to set IP address of AB Power Flex 755 drive

AB2005

Hi

I want to set IP 172.16.27.90 in AB Power Flex 755 drive. I do set the IP by parameters 38-41 with other settings (subnet, gateway) but this IP doesn’t appear at Ethernet IP Embedded and thus it doesn’t ping. Please help.

Hi
I want to set IP 172.16.27.90 in AB Power Flex 755 drive. I do set the IP by parameters 38-41 with other settings (subnet, gateway) but this IP doesn’t appear at Ethernet IP Embedded and thus it doesn’t ping. Please help.
I think you have to find out how the device is configured.
You can use the Rockwell BootP-DHCP tool to find out whether it is at the moment configured by either BootP o DHCP. if it is, you have to configured your desired IP address (172.16.27.90) and the subnet mask 255.255.0.0.
For your PC to detect this IP address with for example RSLinx, your PC's interface must have a compatible IP address, that is a different IP address to the one of the AB Power Flex. And you must make sure that in the network no other device has the same IP address as the AB Power Flex or your PC.

Hi

If you are using the parameters to set the IP address, make sure of the following:
  • The rotary switches are set to a value other than 888 or 001...254
  • Parameter 36 is set to 0

Depending on your firmware, Parameter 36 will have a different name -- firmware 1.xxx to 7.xxx it will be [BOOTP], firmware 8 or later it will be [Net Addr Sel], in either case it should be set to 0

Last edited:
Not sure if this can help:
I never used parameters on PF755, but I recall that if it has 20-750-ENETR then it will be a different set of parameters and settings.
ENETR can be in ADAPTER mode and connecting to the drive backplane directly, or it can be switched to the TAP mode (using onboard jumper) and it will require an additional short cable from ENETR to the main drive port and own set of parameters as well, acting as an ETAP.

Not sure if this can help:
I never used parameters on PF755, but I recall that if it has 20-750-ENETR then it will be a different set of parameters and settings.
ENETR can be in ADAPTER mode and connecting to the drive backplane directly, or it can be switched to the TAP mode (using onboard jumper) and it will require an additional short cable from ENETR to the main drive port and own set of parameters as well, acting as an ETAP.

Good knowledge to have but OP did say that the problem was at 'Ethernet IP Embedded' so it doesn't sound like a 20-750-ENETR is involved.

Good knowledge to have but OP did say that the problem was at 'Ethernet IP Embedded' so it doesn't sound like a 20-750-ENETR is involved.
It does not mean that OP connected cable to embedded port and not ENETR :)

Last edited:
Using the drive HMI - Navigate to the Embedded Ethernet/IP "folder". There you can set the IP address, Mask, Gateway & BooTP options.
Once you get to this section on the HMI it is pretty self explanatory. Just make sure you turn off BootP Par 36 or when you power cycle you may not connect on the static address you want.