FT view SE cannot open project

CQ21

Hi all,

I am having this strange issue with FT view SE where it won't allow me to open the project. I've attached the error for reference. It says it has reached it's limit for displays but I only have at most 15. It just recently started this and has not been an issue in the past. Please if anyone has any tips to get rid of the error it would be a great help!! :(

Capture4.PNG

I don't use SE so this is a WAG...

When you delete a screen, there are 2 options, delete and remove. I wonder if one of the options leaves the screen in the project directory and FT is still counting those, even though they are not in your project tree. Maybe check the project directory and see if there are additional screens that no longer need to be there.

I don't use SE so this is a WAG...

When you delete a screen, there are 2 options, delete and remove. I wonder if one of the options leaves the screen in the project directory and FT is still counting those, even though they are not in your project tree. Maybe check the project directory and see if there are additional screens that no longer need to be there.

I see...but I'm sure I deleted unused screens but it's possible they are still counted? Seems strange. How can I get to the directory to check?

I see...but I'm sure I deleted unused screens but it's possible they are still counted? Seems strange. How can I get to the directory to check?

Like I said, I don't use SE, so I'm not 100% sure. In ME, the projects are stored in C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI Projects\<project name>. If they did it the same for SE, then I'd guess that you substitute "ME" for "SE". I'm sure someone more familiar will confirm.

Like I said, I don't use SE, so I'm not 100% sure. In ME, the projects are stored in C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI Projects\<project name>. If they did it the same for SE, then I'd guess that you substitute "ME" for "SE". I'm sure someone more familiar will confirm.

Yes it is the same for SE (see attached). Most of these folders are empty. Do you know which one is the correct one to check?

Capture5.PNG

Oh right, I left out that detail. parky is right, gfx directory is where the displays reside. Just be careful. You might zip up the contents to have a backup before you do anything crazy :)

Yes, thanks for your help! Success! Kinda....I looked in the gfx directory and found my displays. But I only counted 20 displays in the project. Weird.

But I created a new HMI project with a new HMI server and by using "Add component into application" I imported the displays from the old project. There are a few things to iron out though. One being the recipes and the other being the HMI tags, there might be a few others I haven't realized. I figured out how to import the recipes from the old project but not sure how to import the old HMI tags. But I only have 20 or so, but much better than having to create the whole thing from scratch am I right?

Would really like to get to the bottom of the original problem but I have a new one. It says my project is running in grace mode but I have all the proper licensing. I created a separate project (not related to any of this) months back and it doesn't show this error. Can't remember if I got rid of it somehow or just ignored it. Anyone have any tips?

Capture6.PNG

There is a tag import/export tool in FTV Studio. I would recommend exporting to a CSV and then importing the CSV. There is a merge option, but it can be a little tricky to use. So, I find exporting and then importing to be less likely to cause confusion.

As for the license issue...Just because you don't have the previous application open doesn't mean the HMI server isn't running and consuming a license. Close your open application. Then run this tool "SE Service Manager".

Tell it to stop the current HMI Servers. That will release the license. Then go back to Studio and open your application. It should no longer be in Grace Mode. The HMI Server service is independent of FT Studio. It doesn't need Studio to be open for the server to work. When you open the application, it starts the server, but it does not shutdown the server when you close Studio. It shouldn't. But it makes it confusing as you go from application to another.

OG

EDIT: Forgot to say Start the service after you stop it.

Last edited:
There is a tag import/export tool in FTV Studio. I would recommend exporting to a CSV and then importing the CSV. There is a merge option, but it can be a little tricky to use. So, I find exporting and then importing to be less likely to cause confusion.

As for the license issue...Just because you don't have the previous application open doesn't mean the HMI server isn't running and consuming a license. Close your open application. Then run this tool "SE Service Manager".

Tell it to stop the current HMI Servers. That will release the license. Then go back to Studio and open your application. It should no longer be in Grace Mode. The HMI Server service is independent of FT Studio. It doesn't need Studio to be open for the server to work. When you open the application, it starts the server, but it does not shutdown the server when you close Studio. It shouldn't. But it makes it confusing as you go from application to another.

OG

EDIT: Forgot to say Start the service after you stop it.

Ok tag stuff makes sense. But I assume I would need access to the original HMI program (which I don't :( ) to export the tags to begin with correct? Or am I wrong?

I see...as for the licensing, these issues come from creating multiple FTV applications??