Controlling A SLC 5/05 Rack From A CompactLogix As Remote IO

OneShot

I tried searching online, but don’t know if I was using the right terminology for what I'm looking to do. Basically what I have is an older cabinet on a line that has a SLC 5/05 rack in it with a bunch of I/O. I am adding onto to said production line, due to the size and fullness of the old cabinet, I will be adding another control cabinet with a L27ERM CompactLogix PLC. I will need to keep the original cabinet and I/O, but want to keep all of the logic together and just controlled out of one PLC. I am trying to figure out how to add the I/O of the 5/05 in the old cabinet into my CompactLogix PLC. I know there is a module that you can plug into older SLC racks to do this and pretty much turn the SLC rack into a RIO rack, but since I already have EtherNet on my 5/05, I was hoping I could just delete everything out of the 5/05, put my logic in the CompactLogix, and go through that instead. I tried looking in the “Module Type” list for EtherNet modules, but didn’t see anything for a 5/05 or SLC or anything of the sort in there? I know I can do all of this via sending and receiving message commands back and forth from the L27ERM to the 5/05, but was wondering if there was an EDS module or a better way to do this with a little more diagnostics?

Thanks! I've heard about the 1747-AENTR, but I was hoping since I already had EtherNet on my 5/05 that I would be able to just use that instead of buying another card.

Thanks! I've heard about the 1747-AENTR, but I was hoping since I already had EtherNet on my 5/05 that I would be able to just use that instead of buying another card.

You could rely on MSG commands to pass information back and forth between the two processors, but that would not be the cleanest approach. If your application can tolerate the indeterminate nature of messages, it might work for you.

You would still need a minimal amount of logic in the 5/05 to map data from files that can be messaged to the I/O that is used, but you would, in the end, still have two separate PLCs to maintain.