Panelview Screens

Cord

C
I'm trying to make the PLC change the screen on a panelview 1400e on a controlnet highway.

Ya know, Goody, I read thet durn post from Cord three times, and I'll be dadburned if I kin figger out what the question in it is.

Cord, has ya gone to your A-B representative whut sold you this thing for some assistance? As fer as I'm concerned, the 1400e and the "enhnaced" software are ****, and even more over-priced than the norm fer thet perticular manufacturer. I would at least try to get SOME o' my money's worth out o' them in support!

There is a popular saying on this forum RTFM

The following example, shows how a Screen Number control tag is used to display Caution and operation Information screens. The controller writes a screen number to the PanelView terminal whenever operating parameters exceed predefined limits.
The application has the following configuration:

Screen Number tag Tag Name = ScreenTag Address = N7:10
Screen 10 Information Screen
Screen 11 Caution Screen
1 The controller monitors an automatic sorting process. A bar code reader signals the presence of a package requiring an operator’s attention. The ladder logic writes the value 10 to the Screen Number tag address (N7:10).

2 The PanelView reads the value 10 at N7:10. The Information Screen is displayed.

3 The controller writes the value 0 to the Screen Number tag address (N7:10) returning control of the displayed screen to the operator. If the tag contains a value other than 0, the operator cannot change the screen.

4 The operator responds and selects a System Status screen to monitor the process.

5 The controller monitors the process. A jam on a conveyor requires immediate attention by the operator. The controller writes a value of 11 to the Screen Number tag address (N7:10).

6 The PanelView reads the value 11 at N7:10. The Caution Screen is displayed.

In the terminal setup, you must define the screen control tag, an integer.

This done, the PLC must write a number to that tag address, then that screen number will be displayed. If there is a number in the control address other than zero, the operator will not be able to change screens. So I always, when using this feature, momentarily put a number there (for 4 or 5 seconds) then rewrite the zero value to return the control to the operator.

There is also a screen status tag that reports to the PLC which screen is presently displayed.

This explanation is not for the enhanced panelviews, but the standard ones, but they should(?) work the same. On the other hand, a lot of AB things "should" be one thing but are actually something completely different.

By the way, have you ever heard tell of the help screens within almost any given software package?? You might try using them, or at least a manual.

Last edited:
John,
Instead of "putting a number there for 4 or 5 seconds", you can just monitor the Screen Status Tag for confirmation. Once the screen you've selected appears on the PanelView, the Screen Status Tag value will equal the Screen Control Tag value. At that point you can write the zero value. This just gives control back to the operator ASAP... A "fringe benefit" of this method is that it also confirms that the PanelView acknowledged your screen request! :D

beerchug

-Eric

yaaa,

That's the best way to do it. Once, I tried using that tag, though and it cause some kind of comms error--I don't remember the details, but I think it said something like "this link or this node is owned by somebody else, or something like that. It was displayed on the pv screen. When I took the screen status tag out, it went away. It was one of those problems that wasn't really worth running down, because I found an alternate way of doing what I wanted. I have since used the same tag in other apps with no problem. It's a mystery, to me.

Tom Jenkins said:
As fer as I'm concerned, the 1400e and the "enhnaced" software are ****, and even more over-priced than the norm fer thet perticular manufacturer.

That's an interesting statement, considering what I was once told about the "enhanced" terminals.

The PanelView XXXXe terminals are brand-labelled by AB (made by someone else). The development software for them couldn't be made to fit into the standard "Panelbuilder" package for technical reasons, hence the special programming package. Sooner or later these terminals are likely to be phased out.

This could just be wild rumor. It's one of the few Allen-Bradley quirks that I haven't been able to confirm on my own. Does anyone have any input? :confused:

AK

I just want to know what makes them enhanced?? I never got to work with one very long, but the only differences I could see is they had crappier software, allowed scripting, and downloaded a hell of a lot quicker. Not sure if that really qualifies as enhanced

In their day, they were "enhanced"

The old 1200 and 1400 Panelviews were Remote I/O terminals only. They got/wrote their data from the I/O image table (or more commonly, block ransfers - but you were limited to 4 (later 5) block transdfers of 32 words each). This made for some creativity in getting enough data to the screens (heavy reliance on the "Current Screen" tag/register.

The 1200e and 1400e get away from that scheme - instead of referencing pseudo I/O memory adddresses, you had a tag database and could PULL data from DH+, rather than have the PLC PUSH it.

All nice stuff.

The PV550 line (and it's heirs) were being developed concurrently, and incorporated the same features. They were intended for the (cheaper and OEM-market) SLC line, while the 'e's were intended for the (more robust) PLC-5 line.

AB never really expected the two lines to merge - SLCs were DH-485 based, PLC-5s DH+. They used the same R I/O protocol, and you could buy modules that might (repeat, might) allow communication between them, but they were positioned for seperate markets and different end-users.

They just didn't forsee how the market demand was going to evolve their products.

Now the PV 550/900/1000 are the ones that everyone uses (and come in all flavors of communication protocols, not just DH-485), and the 1400e's are dinosaurs.

I haven't heard that Rockwell will "silver series" the 1400e's, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I can't think of any application where I'd use one over a PV1000. If I need more power, I'll turn to a SCADA package.

Allen Nelson said:
AB never really expected the two lines to merge - SLCs were DH-485 based, PLC-5s DH+. They used the same R I/O protocol, and you could buy modules that might (repeat, might) allow communication between them, but they were positioned for seperate markets and different end-users.
That explains why I had trouble finding a compatible protocol for my SLC...

Now the PV 550/900/1000 are the ones that everyone uses (and come in all flavors of communication protocols, not just DH-485), and the 1400e's are dinosaurs.
On the touchscreen model, touch cells are about the SIZE of dinosaurs. There's not much room for a CRT in most enclosures, either. I'm sure the PV1000 sells much better than the PV1400e.

AK

93lt1 said:
akreel-

There is a PV 1000e thats about the same size as a 1000 non-"e"

I'm not sure whether you're suggesting I replace my screen with a non-"e" terminal, or if you're responding to my comment on the size of the enhanced terminals. My point was that the 1400e is a clunky piece of equipment. It's heavy and large, and with the touchcells/graphics so large there's only so much you can do with it.

The PV1000 is a large screen, but it's LCD so the thing is easy to mount in an enclosure. Isn't the 1000e a CRT monitor, like the 1400e (that's the one I'm most familiar with)? That's where most of the realestate goes...

By the way, the 1400e has got a 486 processor in it, but you can't load "Doom" onto it... In case you're wondering, I was really strung out on caffine one day and I really wanted to try something different with my new "toy."

AK

My comment was regarding the physical size.

There are 1000 and 1400 Panelviews and there are 1000e and 1400e Panelviews.

1000e has an LCD screen with the 1400e features, and about the size of a regular panelview 1000.

Sorry about the confusion!!!!