Is there any way to tell what these software dongles are for?

lunenburger

I found these two software dongles in an old desk occupied by one of our automation guys.
The black one looks like an Indusoft dongle but it isn't.

Does anyone recognize them, or is there a way to tell what they are for?

Thanks

nm.jpg nw.jpg

I think they are both generic license dongles.
Meaning, whatever software they are used for, the license dongles are from manufacturers who specializes in licensing solutions.
It appears there are serial numbers on the dongles, maybe you can contact the dongle manufacturers, and they can tell who they sold them to.

The blue Flexera one may be an old Rockwell/AB license dongle, they still use them but they've updated the look of them in the last decade or so. It obviously could be any software really, but I'm thinking along the lines of PLCs obviously.

I am pretty sure that the dongles contain filesystems, so perhaps inserting them into a USB port and browsing their contents will shed some light.

If they do not contain filesystems, they still might act as stream devices, in which case a linux box could dump (dd command) their contents.

That said, either way will likely result in binary gobbledegook, but perhaps some ASCII strings will be found.

I am pretty sure that the dongles contain filesystems, so perhaps inserting them into a USB port and browsing their contents will shed some light.

If they do not contain filesystems, they still might act as stream devices, in which case a linux box could dump (dd command) their contents.

That said, either way will likely result in binary gobbledegook, but perhaps some ASCII strings will be found.

I know the Sentinel stick is definitely a license usb stick for something. In our plant we use them for ICONICS HMI software licenses.

I definitely wouldn't just plug them in to try to see what's on them though. These sticks usually install their own drivers and don't show up as any type of filesystem on windows. If you're that curious about what is on them, I would try to use a linux live cd or a non-networked computer, as it's entirely possible that something malicious is on them.

I have tried both of them, and they don't have any file system on them that I can access through Windows.
I know someone who is good with Linux. I will reach out to him.

The green Flexera one is probably Rockwell, but again, Windows file system doesn't pick it up like the newer blue Rockwell dongles.
Which is odd because I would think I should be able to see the .lic files on it. Unless they were removed?

I have tried both of them, and they don't have any file system on them that I can access through Windows.
I know someone who is good with Linux. I will reach out to him.

The green Flexera one is probably Rockwell, but again, Windows file system doesn't pick it up like the newer blue Rockwell dongles.
Which is odd because I would think I should be able to see the .lic files on it. Unless they were removed?

The old Flexera from Rockwell did not have a built in flash drive as the current Dongle2 has 2GIG on it.

If you have FTAM open it insert the Flexera, search for it and add it to FTAM, refresh and it should show what the license(s) are for if they are Rockwell

the dongles does have files on them, the pc can't see them.
i am aware of some dongle encryption methods used by companies.
when you run the software, the dongle is read and the program is activated.
i cannot discuss the encryption method beyond this.
james