Remote Access Firewall Issue

mhertwig

Good Morning.

Our local IT group has been trying to get some of my PLCs online with the plant network so I can remotely access. They are stringent on cyber security, etc, so they have to deal with some firewall issues. Right now they have got us to the point were I can access the machines from an external VPN connection, but not a local plant connection.

This is a L30ER v20.014.

He has asked me this:

"it is concluded that something is one the PLC that is blocking replies, there should be something on that machine maybe like IP filtering, IP route filtering or something else, can you make sure that none of this configured ?"

Any thoughts here? Could the PLC be blocking network access?

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG 4.PNG

When IT refers to "that machine," is IT referring to the PLC?

And are they actually asking if the PLC has IP filtering?

Ask them to show you a log, from the same LAN the PLC is on, of the packet they conclude has been blocked or filtered. It should have the MAC address of the PLC in it; if it only has the IP address of the PLC, then it is not from the same LAN that the PLC is on.

Last edited:
As others alluded to, direct firewall connection is not recommended. Either use a VPN or a Jump Server in addition to firewall. You can even go as far as adding a physical kill switch to prevent outside connection.

No, PLC doesn't "block" ICMP pings and I'm not even sure that's possible on AB network card.