GE Fanuc IC620 issue

mustbemad10

Hello.
I am trying to get an upload of the program in my IC620 Micro PLC (IC60MDR014D), but having some issues.
I have found the manual & made up the comms cable (IC620CBL001), but everytime I connect it to the PLC & serial port of my (very old) laptop, the outputs all drop off.
Has anyone found this issue before?

I cannot get the PLC to communicate with my laptop (running Win 98 btw).

I grabbed a copy of the software that was found in this thread, so having installed that & unable to communicate, I'm stuck...

I hope somebody will be able to help!

Thanks!!

How old is your "very old" laptop and what OS are you running on it. The software for that PLC is a DOS application so you might want to try running it under DOSBox rather than Windows. Also be sure that your serial port is assigned to COM1, COM2, COM3, or COM4 and that you set up the software to use the correct COM port.

I am confused as to why when I connect the RJ11 & the serial cable, the outputs turn OFF, the OK & Run LED turn OFF & I'm left with the PWR LED on, but the LED is much dimmer than when the cable isn't connected...

I think one of the wires in the IC620CBL001 carries power for the handheld. The source of that power is the PLC. Perhaps there is something in the laptop that connects to that wire and drags down the PLC supply.

Edit: I just looked it up. It's pin 9 on the 9-pin side of the cable, Pin 6 on the PLC side. Try disconnecting it.

Last edited:
Interesting... Seems like that is the issue, but how to get around it?!

The pinouts are...
9 way ----------- RJ11
GND 5 ---------- 1 GND
RXD 2 ---------- 3 TXD
TXD 3 ---------- 2 RXD
DTR 4--|
DSR 6--|
RTS 7----|
CTS 8-----|
VCC 9 ---------- 6 VCC

Wondering whether to disconnect the VCC & see what happens...?

Tried disconnecting pin 9 on the '9-way'. Same issue.
I'll try taking off the 4-6 & 7-8 links. Leaving the GND, RXD & TXD pins connected...

It won't let me edit my post, so sorry for the multiple posts!

I've taken all but the GND, RXD & TXD connections off & still have the same issue.
The 3 LEDs stay ON, but still dim