what the heck is going on w/ Schneider these days

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
Schneider used to be awesome.
Their ATV312 and M340.
It seems all to common w/ companies that get too big.
ATV320 is ****. And their new plc also ****.
I'm going to take some heat for this, but I ain't wrong.

Their new PLCs?

Are you talking about the M580 who are basically better M340 or about their codesys based M221-M251 line who are very cheap compared to what they can do ?

My opinion is that SE would like to do the same thing as they did with LV switchgear segmentation and price positioning, and that is offering exactly what you need and nothing more. Problem is that that kind of logic can't be applied to PLCs. That's why they have robust PLC (M221) with sh*tty software (SoMachine Basic/EcoStruxure Machine Basic), not so robust but capable PLC (M241/M251) with very cool software (SoMachine/EcoStruxure/Codesys), and then good PLC (M580) with good old style software (EcoStruxure Control Expert/Unity Pro), and then some other PLCs also for different countries or fields of automation. Problem with M580/Unity is that the price is to expansive if you consider VPM (value per money) and you can buy better PLCs from renowned producers for better price. Other problem is that if you use some of their SCADA solutions, although it is very powerful, you are obliged to tell them who is end user, and then SE is visiting your end user and giving them aggressively offers for future jobs in all fields from SE's portfolio.

With VFDs it is situation that with every new generation from ATV61/71 (excellent), every new generation is just poorer - it's all about reducing price. SE made excellent job in Asia and Africa markets, and it seems to me that their first question when they make new product is "how good will it be sold in China".

Last edited:
I have used the ATV320 on Profinet and they were the worst drives I've ever worked with. Just to get the drive to run you have to send a command, read a status, if that's correct send another command, read another status and if that's correct write another command which makes the drive run.

When we first installed them the reset command wouldn't work and I spent lots of time being a guinea pig for Schneider UK & France trying different things in an attempt to get it to work. A year to 18 months after our original install we added some new drives and found the reset worked now on these. To update the firmware requires a special cable and software which we didn't want to purchase and so we asked Schneider to go to site and update the original drives which thankfully they did for free.

Site have also had constant problems with drives dropping offline, the ports on the network cards feel really sloppy and they've tried multiple different cables and RJ45 plugs to try and get a better fit.