MicroLogix 1100 discontinued

End of life was announced a bit ago as being March 1st, 2022.

1747-L551 and other L5x1 go away December 31st of this year.

It's no surprise I guess, given that the MicroLogix line is basically defunct. Makes me wonder when the 1400 will shift to Active Mature status.

Soon RSLogix 500 will only be available in our memory... bummer, the 1100's were great for a simple projects, the 800's aren't bad but most of us can program RSLogix 500 in our sleep so it still made it nice to come under budget when figuring out programming hours.

Soon RSLogix 500 will only be available in our memory...

Maybe. RSLogix 5 has been updated for Windows 10. Just like the installed base for PLC5s keep it alive, the same could be true for processors dependent on RSLogix 500. When's the last time a new PLC-5 was purchased? That 1400 is a virtual swiss army knife of capabilities.

I just caught this the other day as well. Big bummer, the 1100s were great bang for buck PLCs. I'm dreading the inevitable death of the 1400 as well.

Absolutely agree. Clunky and buggy software AND hardware.(y)

Here too regarding CCW and the Micro800 line; after RSLogix it feels like going back to Fisher-Price, i.e. what Windows XP felt like after 95/98/NT. CCW is clunky and annoying like TIA Portal but without the power.

And I only use Micro Starter Lite for the 1100, also I prefer that to 5000 as well.

That said, the price is right and I suspect that is what A-B is going after: keep the projects that do not need ControlLogix/CompactLogix in the fold, or at least out of other manufacturer's folds.

Here too regarding CCW and the Micro800 line; after RSLogix it feels like going back to Fisher-Price, i.e. what Windows XP felt like after 95/98/NT. CCW is clunky and annoying like TIA Portal but without the power.

And I only use Micro Starter Lite for the 1100, also I prefer that to 5000 as well.

That said, the price is right and I suspect that is what A-B is going after: keep the projects that do not need ControlLogix/CompactLogix in the fold, or at least out of other manufacturer's folds.

I hate to say this - but without the Micrologix line, the next best option is Automation Direct or Siemens. They are both preferable to CCW. It gets really hard to justify a compactlogix PLC for simple projects.

I hate to say this - but without the Micrologix line, the next best option is Automation Direct or Siemens. They are both preferable to CCW. It gets really hard to justify a compactlogix PLC for simple projects.
You are spot on, so RA marketing folks would be right to keep a presence in that market segment. Never let a customer try out a competitor's product.

That makes sense, especially the AD choice; at a few k$ for TIA Portal I don't see how that would be an alternative to CCW/Micro800 unless it was already licensed.

It would be interesting to see the relative market shares, post-March'22, of CCW from A-B vs. MicroLogix 1100 from eBay.

at a few k$ for TIA Portal I don't see how that would be an alternative to CCW/Micro800 unless it was already licensed.
It would be enough with TIA PORTAL BASIC, i.e. not the PRO version.
Enough for S7-1200 and Basic Panels, definitely a step up from ML1100.
And that would be around 300-400 USD, not "a few k$".

It would be enough with TIA PORTAL BASIC, i.e. not the PRO version.
Enough for S7-1200 and Basic Panels, definitely a step up from ML1100.
And that would be around 300-400 USD, not "a few k$".

Ah, thanks for the correction; it seems the prices for software are often kept in obscure places, if not outright hidden. I assume that is to protect the local distributor. That's closer to what it is worth then. What does PRO add? I would expect a massage at least ;).

S7-1200 may be be step up from ML1100, but portal is not from rsl500, at least for programming the PLC; it's barely a step up from CCW, which is very much "faint praise."

Ah, thanks for the correction; it seems the prices for software are often kept in obscure places, if not outright hidden. I assume that is to protect the local distributor. That's closer to what it is worth then. What does PRO add? I would expect a massage at least ;).

S7-1200 may be be step up from ML1100, but portal is not from rsl500, at least for programming the PLC; it's barely a step up from CCW, which is very much "faint praise."

Agree 100%. TIA portal is definitely a step down from RSL500.

I think this argument will fall into more of a young vs old than AB vs Siemens, though.