Looking for something like Asdvanced HMI but proprietary

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi there. In the past I have read many posts about Advanced HMI in forum. I have a potential project for which Advanced HMI could be used, but since it is open source and the sources must be provided to the end-user my customer will not accept such solution. So I am looking for a tool that allows one to develop HMI screens in C# and which provides libraries for buttons and other useful icons for industrial monitoring.
Would be interested in learning about such tool. The runtime system would be Windows 10, and in the future Windows 11, I guess. Thanks for reading.

Hi there. In the past I have read many posts about Advanced HMI in forum. I have a potential project for which Advanced HMI could be used, but since it is open source and the sources must be provided to the end-user my customer will not accept such solution. So I am looking for a tool that allows one to develop HMI screens in C# and which provides libraries for buttons and other useful icons for industrial monitoring.
Would be interested in learning about such tool. The runtime system would be Windows 10, and in the future Windows 11, I guess. Thanks for reading.

What's the reason behind not accepting AdvancedHMI?
Edit: They won't own any of the source code of any commercial solution either.

You don't have to supply source code for advancedhmi if you pay for it, just the free version.
I did not know this. Will look into it. Thanks.
Edit: Visited the Advanced HIM website and cannot find information about paid Advanced HMI. Is it necessary to register in order to be able to get access to information such as paid Advnaced HMI?

Last edited:
What's the reason behind not accepting AdvancedHMI?
Edit: They won't own any of the source code of any commercial solution either.
Not sure what you mean. I did the first version of the development in CODESYS, but the customer does not like the fact that their end-users need to buy runtime license for CODESYS. Even for this first version, the customer is not giving away the sources of the CODESYS program. So I am looking for some development environment for which one buys the license for the development tool but the runtime is royalty free, the opposite of CODESYS that gives away the development tool for free but charges for the runtime.

From AdvancedHMI site:
IMPORTANT
This software is a complete usable package that is free to use and distribute. To have a powerful package available at no charge, the software is licensed as an open source model. This means it is REQUIRED that you pass your full solution with source to the end user. If you are looking for a closed source, locked, or proprietary solution, then AdvancedHMI is not the correct product for you.

The package includes multiple support DLLs and these are ONLY licensed for use within an AdvancedHMI solution. Using any of these DLLs in a non-AdvancedHMI application or renaming these DLLs is a breach of the license.
The AdvancedHMI site does sell a license to a ControlLogix driver, and one could build a C# application around that, but all of the controls, i.e. callbacks and such, would need to be built from scratch.

The driver is the most important piece. There is nothing special with the controls. Matter of fact, there is quite a bit missing, alarming, good trends, etc. I think the driver is cheap, maybe a few hundred?

Edit, yes $200, copied from AHMI site, I misspoke earlier, even getting the driver it still must remain open source, so as stated you would need to roll your own, which isn't too hard:

NOTE: This product is currently offered at a discounted price with limited availability. Although the software is complete, it is considered a pre-release that does not come with complete application samples and only has partial documentation.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This driver is a separate product from AdvancedHMI. AdvancedHMI includes a ControlLogix driver, but that driver cannot be used outside of AdvancedHMI and must be open source. This stand-alone driver offers the option of including in your own software and distribution as closed source. Purchasing this driver does not change the open source licensing of AdvancedHMI

PLC Communication driver licensed for use in proprietary and/or closed source applications. This driver and license will allow the purchaser to create .NET applications for exchanging data with ControlLogix/CompactLogix PLCs. This driver is based on the same proven driver that is part of the AdvancedHMI software and uses the same interface.
Bench marked as the fastest driver on the market. The easiest to use requiring the least amount of code writing.
Requirements: .NET 4.0 framework The purchase of this license includes all minor updates and one version upgrade. Example code: Dim MyValue as string=EthernetIPforClxCom1.Read("MyTag")

Last edited:
Sounds like your customer wants to have their cake and eat it too.
There are tools such as the Agilent or Keysight for which the development environment costs about 10 K USD but the runtime components are free of charge. The customer would pay for such a development environment license, so no, it is not a search for an eaten and simultaneously kept cake what I am doing now.