How to configure GE MDS4710A point to point Radio Communication

wilsonzhu

Hi, I want to test two mds4701A's communication. One connected to floboss103, another connected PC, Does anyone knows how to configure these two radios. Thanks a lot.

First you need to get the MDS Radio Config Software. Its a free utility but I have not seen it on the MDS website. You should be able to get a copy from your radio distributor, if not send me an email and I can send you a copy of it. ([email protected])

After that its fairly simple to go through and set up the radios. The main points to change are:
1.) The Tx and Rx frequencies
2.) The soft carrier dekey (I find 10ms works for most applications)
3.) The PTT (I usually set around 10ms)
4.) The baud rate
5.) The CTS (which I usually set around 30ms)

The product manual will have the cable pinouts you will need and can be found here : https://www.microwavedata.com/app/support/technical/docDetail.asp?ID=87

If you get stuck with the software I can help you with that as well.

By SWC you mean Switched Carrier correct? Default I believe is off and that should be fine. Most of the settings can be left at default. As far as DCE and DTE goes the radio is a DCE device (Data Communications Equipment) and in this case your floboss will be the DTE (Data Terminal Equipment). The DTE is the device that provides the data, while the DCE just transmits data.