Confrence calls including sales people....

Yup that is a favorite. They need to make one where sales doesn't stop talking.

Originally posted by Peter Nachtwey:

Conference calls with our sales guys is a standard event around here. No problem.

Then you don't have sales guys. You have thinking, rational individuals who happen to sell. There is a significant difference and your case is unfortunately not the norm in my experience.

Keith

Speaking of salesmen, one of my favorite Dilberts.

57004.strip.sunday.gif

"OK, whatever..."

Sums it up right there.

Years ago the Mechanical Engineer at the company we worked for was lamenting that the most recent "custom" design had reached the upper limit of available components. He explained how anything bigger would require advancements in technology not available at that time. The salesman who happened to be in the room at the time looked at the two of us, shook his head and said "If we can sell it, we can build it". There was never a doubt that he truly believed that.

Even worse is the management that gets taken by idiot salesmen.

I see meetings where all the management in the whole room has been sold and that does not change until I walk in and start asking real questions.

I can't count the times that the site manager has purchased something we are currently sourcing but he purchased junk that a sales person duped him on.

Multiple times his excuse was "well their rep said theirs was the best" to which I reply "Do you really expect that a sales rep trying to sell you something is going to say ours sucks?" Or "company A unit is better than ours"

If they send a good looking sales lady with a little flirt someone here is buying one of what ever is being sold no matter how obvious it is that it won't work.

If I had a dollar for every junk sale we have had in the last year I could take a month off with pay.