Quick and easy question about online edits w/ RSLogix 5000

Voltimus

I'm creating a new thread for this because I can't seem to find the relevant info in my documentation.

I remember how to run online edits for adding rung logic.
What I can't remember.....is it possible to make online edits or additions to tags that aren't being used yet, without upsetting a running program?

I'd like to add a bypass without having to shut the plant down.

I create tags and code online all the time. I have even "renamed" tags while online. Sometimes you cant shut down so you gotta work with what you have.
Its potentially dangerous just like working in a live panel, but we all do it. Just gotta know what you are doing and be careful

+1

I have'nt been able to change an array size online . I just create a new array and transfer to that .

Pal

I just attempted to add some tags to a user defined array and there is no blank spot to add tags.

Am I going about it wrong?

To clarify that, am I doing something wrong like "not putting the processor in 'Program' mode" or "trying to edit the array in the user defined file instead of at the controller tags section"....

Last edited:
I just attempted to add some tags to a user defined array and there is no blank spot to add tags.

Am I going about it wrong?

To clarify that, am I doing something wrong like "not putting the processor in 'Program' mode" or "trying to edit the array in the user defined file instead of at the controller tags section"....

Just scroll down to the bottom of the page. You should find an empty line there to create a new tag.

You mean this box?

316ael1.jpg

It's not there when I'm online and in "remote run" mode.

You can't typically change UDTs online, but you may be able to append new elements to the end. The reason being is each variable/tag of that user defined type is just a block of memory arranged to match the elements in the UDT. If you move around, remove, insert, or change the size of the elements, they no longer match up with the memory area. It's the same reason you can't change an existing tag's type or array size, but can create new tags.

CapinWinky said:
You can't typically change UDTs online...

To clarify...

RSLogix 5000 v15 or greater allows you to add, modify, and delete un-referenced UDTs (User Defined Data-Type) Online.

Voltimus,

You are using RSLogix v19, so Online editing of UDTs should be available to you, but only if the UDT is not currently being referenced by any tags at the controller-scope or program-scope. Even if those tags are unused in the program.

Voltimus said:
...is it possible to make online edits or additions to tags that aren't being used yet...trying to edit the array in the user defined file instead of at the controller tags section...

This looks suspiciously like you have a controller-scoped tag of your User Data-Type?
If so, and you want to edit the UDT, then you must delete any tags that currently reference the UDT.

Regards,
George

Last edited: