Read SLC 5/05 Clock Hour & Minutes

Ones_Zeros

Hello
I was needing to stop one device and start the second device
at a certain time each day, for example 10:00 am each day.
I thought the best way to do this would be to use
the SLC 5/05 clock Hours and Minutes register below.

S:37 Year
S:38 Month
S:39 Day
S:40 Hour
S:41 Minute

How would be the best way to start unit #1 at 10:00am each day and let
it run for 24 hours. Then stop unit# 1 the next day at 10:00am and then startup unit# 2 and let it run for 24 hours.

Just keep repeating the process each day cycling between unit#1 & unit# 2

Thanks for helping

So this is basically a daily duty rotate at 10:00am?

S40:0 EQU 10 (with one shot so it only executes once) - set duty change bit.

Duty change bit toggles Duty bit.

If you have more than 2 devices use an integer register to keep track of duty and increment it each time Duty Change bit is set. Wrap around back to 1 when greater than number of devices

Those are the registers commonly checked for the date & time.

One thing to keep in mind with the SLC's is they do not have a real-time clock in them. The CPU counts milliseconds and increments the clock itself.

I found that if you check S:42 Second it seems to make the CPU skip timing during that check. I had one program I checked the second quite a few times and the clock lost about 5 minutes every day.

Now as a standard I MOV S:42 N7:42 at the beginning of the scan and check N7:42 throughout the program without affecting the clock. When I did this the CPU clock became more reliable.

But they can still be off a few seconds a day that can accumulate to minutes a year. If the time is critical I took a suggestion from this forum and put a digital appliance timer on an input, set the timer to come on at 7:30 AM and when it comes on, with a OSR, I MOV 30 S:41 and MOV 0 S:42. If really critical I check exactly when the timer comes on and can MOV that exact time, say 29 to minute and 17 to second.

Thanks let make sure I follow

- add a one shot in behind the S40:0 EQU 10 bit to trigger the “duty cycle output #1” at 10:00am
- what could I use to reset the one shot bit for the #1 unit? Could I have the “duty cycle output #1” to reset the one shot bit so it’s ready to execute the next day at 10:00am for unit#2
- I think your saying the one shot will prevent unit#1 from running again the next day
- what starts unit#2 after unit#1 stops? I would have to have the same clock S40:0 EQU 10 bit to start #2 unit right?

I may be over thinking this but wanted to make sure I understand the logic

Thanks for helping

The oneshot is to get a pulse at 10am. Use the pulse to toggle a bit that is used to drive the two devices.

Ok but I don’t want to run them both at the same time. (unit#1) will run at 10:00am and run for 24 hours and then turn off at 10:00am the next day then startup (unit#2) to run for 24 hours. I’d like to set a timer to turn off (unit#1) 5 minutes after (unit#2) gets to running.

Thanks again

Use the day parameter (S:39) as a permissive. Unit #1 runs on odd days, Unit #2 runs on even days. Same clock parameters used for both units.

Or create your own incrementing number as the permissive.

Same as Bit_Bucket_07's method

Last edited:
I’d like to send you guys an example of the list Logix
and let me know what I need to add or remove if that’s ok?

One thing I noticed is it looks like the “ONS” instruction
is not available in the SLC 5/05 controller? It’s grated out
and won’t let me select it.

Is there an alternative instruction I can use?

Thanks

It should.be there but regardless you can also make your own sort of.oneshot.tomit.executes only once per day. Latch a bit that has an xio of the same bit then unlatch it again when the minutes has incremented again. The also you.can toggle so when that rung exectutes it checks a bit to.latch if its un latched and unlatch if its latched then this toggle bit is used to control which pump.
If using 3 or.more pumps you can use a counter and rest function with compares for each number being a different pump.

Thanks

Check for OSR (One Shot Rising)

The day-of-month suggestion won't work as there are months with 31 days

Last edited:
I’d like to send you guys an example of the list Logix
and let me know what I need to add or remove if that’s ok?

Thanks

You are aware that in AB, a one-shot is not an output instruction, as it is in some other PLCs?