PV Cable

Tim Ganz

I have a panelview 2711-B5A1 that we need to connect to a slick 5/02 application and I can't seem to determine what cable I need to make or buy and I am looking for some direction?

You've got a heck of a spectrum of stuff to work on this week, Tim !

Double and triple check that PanelView terminal's part number and network plugs.

2711-B5A1

The "B" means it has Both touch and keypad.
The "5" means a 5.5 inch diagonal screen
The "A" means monochrome; it used to mean "Amber" but that was in the early 90's.

But the "1" means it has a comms daughtercard for Allen-Bradley Universal Remote I/O (RIO).

To connect to an SLC-5/02, that controller would have to be equipped with a 1747-SN RIO Scanner module.

It would be far more common to use a 2711-B5A2, -B5A3, or -B5A5, which have a native DH-485 protocol network port, same as the SLC-5/02 has.

You've got a heck of a spectrum of stuff to work on this week, Tim !

Double and triple check that PanelView terminal's part number and network plugs.

2711-B5A1

The "B" means it has Both touch and keypad.
The "5" means a 5.5 inch diagonal screen
The "A" means monochrome; it used to mean "Amber" but that was in the early 90's.

But the "1" means it has a comms daughtercard for Allen-Bradley Universal Remote I/O (RIO).

To connect to an SLC-5/02, that controller would have to be equipped with a 1747-SN RIO Scanner module.

It would be far more common to use a 2711-B5A2, -B5A3, or -B5A5, which have a native DH-485 protocol network port, same as the SLC-5/02 has.

2711-B5A1 is the right number. I guess i have to connect to this with one of the old PIC boxes?

Also i have some 1747-SN modules for blue hose can that be configured to talk to the panelview over bluehose?

The 2711-B5A1 has only a Universal Remote I/O (blue hose) adapter network interface. The RS-232 port is for upload/download, or you can use the PC Card slot for file transfer.

If you need to connect this PanelView to an SLC-5/02 based control system, you do need a 1747-SN Scanner module.

This is literally 1990 technology and products, so there are certainly folks who know how they work and can help guide you, but don't be surprised when you have to do some digging to understand the protocol and addressing.

Are you repairing an existing system, or automating something with the dregs of the obsolete parts bin ?

The old "PIC box" is the 1747-PIC for interface to Data Highway 485 (DH485) networks. You'll need a DH485 network interface to connect to the SLC-5/02, but it won't do anything for that model of PanelView.

The general purpose serial port driver for the 1747-PIC doesn't work with any modern Windows OS, so most people get the 1747-UIC modern USB version, or an equivalent from plccables.com