Firmware Questions

Tim Ganz

I have an L72 processor that says firmware upgrade needed on the screen and llynx says it has 1.8 installed. If I flash to like V21 or something can I down flash it back to 1.8 or something close?

Also on panelview plus 6 can they be flashed up and down?

Or can you only flash up and never down?

Brand new controllers come with a "boot firmware", which is a firmware that only provides enough features to flash it to a proper firmware. These are rev 1.x. You cannot flash back to a 1.x rev, it would be useless.

The L72 supports v20 to the latest, v33. You can flash up and down. So if you were to flash to v33 at first, you can flash back to v20 later. Though, downgrading your actual program is not so easy.

edit: I suspect that a PanelView Plus can be flashed up and down, thought I've never tried it. There are hardware limits, for example, a PVP 6 cannot be flashed below v6.

Last edited:
Version 1.8 means the controller is fresh out of the box and has only boot firmware. You can load any firmware supported by the 1756-L72.

PanelView Plus is a little more complex because of the Windows CE operating system, as opposed to the Logix OS which RA has full control of and packages into the runtimes.

In general, a "PV+6" has hardware that will only support FactoryTalk View ME version 6 or higher firmware. You can't load v5.10 or earlier firmware into it.

And to go a step further regarding the Logix controller...

That 1.x firmware is also a fail-safe. If anything ever happens to that controller, it can revert to that out-of-the-box version. For example, if I try to flash my version 32 controller to version 33, but then I accidentally cut power to that unit before it has finished, the controller will revert to version 1.x. Then I can try again to upgrade to v33 (hopefully having learned my lesson). In older controllers that would have damaged the firmware and I would have a useless CPU.

OG