SLC 5/05 Memory

beethoven_ii

Lifetime Supporting Member
My client has 3x 1747-L552 SLC 5/05 plc's on site with 32k memory that we'd like to update the firmware on. I have a test plc which I've already done this on but the model of this one is 1747-L551C with only 16K memory. I'd like to use my test plc to prove that the firmware update won't cause any compatibility issues with anything else connected on site but the clients program is too big to fit in my test plc. If I add a 1747-M13 64K EEPROM memory module to my test plc will this allow me to put in the bigger program and make online edits?

contact Rockwell they have a module you plug in to do the firmware upgrade
it plugs in the here the eprom plug
power off, plug in module cycle power on wait and power off remove module
I have done a few but you have to get the correct module
You can not upgrade the memory just the firmware

contact Rockwell they have a module you plug in to do the firmware upgrade
it plugs in the here the eprom plug
power off, plug in module cycle power on wait and power off remove module
I have done a few but you have to get the correct module
You can not upgrade the memory just the firmware

I think the 5/05 (Ethernet) can be upgraded with ControlFlash, but the other SLC models use a ROM piggyback chip like you describe.

If the firmware is not 100% successful, I seriously doubt the OP would get ANY logic program to run successfully, and the firmware is mature enough that if it introduced any new problems they would be rare and specific to unique things that might be present at the target site.

To be as thorough as possible without dropping $6000 for a new 64k CPU, I would do one of two things:

1. Buy a used 64K from Mark:
https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-l553-c-frn-13-ethernet-series-c-5-05-slc500-64k-memory/

2. Strip down the customer program to make it fit in your test subject, but be sure to leave in things like MSG logic and PID blocks...anything that you suspect might function slightly different or outside the norm.

Option 2 won't let you fully operate the system so it might be a waste of time . I would lean toward buying a used SLC and sell it to the end user as a spare. If they don't have a spare, they need to get one. SLC 5/05 new hardware prices are trending like a ****** *particular brand of cryptic currency.

All of the SLC5/05's I have updated the firmware on I have not had one problem yet where a program was incompatible with the new firmware.

Also never any 5/03 or 5/04 program problem after updating.

All of the SLC5/05's I have updated the firmware on I have not had one problem yet where a program was incompatible with the new firmware.

Also never any 5/03 or 5/04 program problem after updating.

I upgraded my test 5/05 which worked ok except that it required a password to access it afterwards which at the time I didn't know. I'm fine with doing the firmware updates but there are printers, old HMI screens and a Scada system attached and the customer would prefer us to prove it can all still work successfully with updated firmware before we dive in and flash all 3 of their plc's.

I have seen one reasonably local on eBay for just over £1000 and the seller has 100% positive feedback and that may be the best option. I told the client that a memory upgrade would be about £500 before I realised it was an EEPROM and the cost didn't phase them so we'll have to see what they say.

I think the 5/05 (Ethernet) can be upgraded with ControlFlash, but the other SLC models use a ROM piggyback chip like you describe.

I upgraded my test unit using Controlflash with Ethernet and it worked ok. It's a relatively new site for me to be working on and so I'm not 100% sure of everything that is connected and I've only been working on one specific part of the software to date.

I know there are printers attached using BASIC modules, 2x old PanelView HMI screens per plc and a Scada system. The customer is just being cautious which is perfectly understandable as it would be expensive if one of the units was unusable after we updated it.

I guess we can ask if they have a spare in the stores already, or if not we could buy 2nd hand unit and offer them it as a back-up.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

The BASIC module runs its own program that it reads the data from the CPU itself, and writes it just as a HMI would. The backplane comm's wouldn't be effected.

The same for the PV and SCADA comm's.

Since there are 3 of them have them purchase one CPU, flash it and test it - keeping the old one intact until everything is proven.

Plus, to offset the purchase cost of the 32K CPU's show them the going eBay price for their 16K ones and suggest they sell them after they are successfully replaced.There a few on eBay in US going for $950 to $1200 each.

The only time I have run into weirdness with a firmware upgraded SLC was a case where the old 5/05 still had the original Ethernet daughter card that only supported 10Mb half duplex and we were running FactoryTalk version 5-ish with managed switches set up for auto detect baud and duplex. We ended up having to lock down all the devices that communicated with that SLC to half duplex 10Mb to resolve strange network behavior. That is when Factory Talk View Studio became forever in my mind Factory Balk Puke Stupido. It was the one software system than didn't want to recover from those issues without putting all of Bill Gates' pet squirrels to sleep and then waking them up again (server shutdown/restart).