Rockwell controller and screen

VFU

Hello everyone,

I’m running a FTV studio 8.2 version on a VMware so my PV plus 7 standard hmi runs on a version 11. It’s a new hmi, as you know my runtime (mer) file is 8.2. What should I do? Download the 8.2 firmware version and run it onto my hmi? I tried to upgrade my FTV studio from version 8.2 to 11, but I could not do it. I believe I need to contact my Rockwell rep and purchase the upgrade so I’d like to know if it would work only running the 8.2 firmware version on the hmi? I read that it should work as the hmi firmware is newer than the mer generated on FTV studio.
I keep receiving the message "The destination selected is not a valid device" It seems that the Transfer Utility doesn't recognize it.

Thx a lot guys.

Welcome to the forum!

This is likely not a firmware problem, but a bug. Your v11 PanelView will run your MER at v8.2.

Did the MER run at one point? There is a bug, where the PanelView will accept a download initially, but will not accept any downloads after. The error is what you receive. Their "solution" is to restore the RSLinx Enterprise configuration in the PanelView. This "solution" just puts you in the same boat the next time you download. Does this sound like what you are experiencing?

Edit: I made an assumption that you have verified that you are physically connected properly and are on the same subnet, can ping it, etc.

Last edited:
Hello there,

Thanks for the reply. This is a new HMI so it doesnt have any application running on it. Yes, i can ping it. I did run the patch roll-ups and nothing has changed. RsLogix seems to recognize it, but when opening the application on FTV studio and trying to download the mer file onto the screen through Transfer Utility i get that message "The destination selected is not a valid device".

One thing to keep in mind, the Transfer Utility uses RSLinx Enterprise to communicate to the PanelView. RSLinx recognizing it doesn't mean that RSLinx Enterprise does. One thing I find a little clunky about RSLE is that it tends to not refresh very well when the driver is pointed to "any adapter" rather than the specific adapter you are communicating over.

It can be even weirder when using a VM, especially if your VM is configured for NAT rather than bridged to the host adapter.

In your application, at the bottom of the organizer/tree, there are 2 tabs, Application/Communication. Go to Communication tab, right click on the Ethernet driver and select properties, Advanced tab. Select the proper adapter (not "any"). Click OK to close the window, then right click, delete children, right click again and start browsing. This will refresh the list of devices on your network, using the specified adapter rather than trying to do its best with all adapters. If you are using NAT network configuration in your VM, this likely won't work. You may need to add the PanelView Manually (right click > Add Device)

It's failing because the panelview is a higher firmware version than the ME transfer utility. You can try to download ME transfer utility V11, I am not sure if you need a license for that or firmware flash the panelview to 8.2.

I usually copy the applications to a SD card and use that to load the panelviews in this situation.

I have also seen this message when trying to download an .mer file from a network drive. If your .mer file is on a network drive, copy it to your desktop and try it again.

I mean who needs meaningful error messages anyway?

Hey guys,

The HMI is running perfectly now. I had to reboot my rslinx enterprise as well as reconfigure it. It was not browsing/seeing my device. I aslo did what our friend "DMROEDER" recommended so thanks a lot guys.