Read S7-300 Data blocks

CQ21

Hello all,

I am trying to read DB values from an S7-300 with CPU 317-2 DP. I have done this before with a CPU 313C but it had a CP 343-1 Lean comms module. The way this was previously done was by creating a Simatic PC station and adding a WinCC RT pro. application and ethernet comms module to the PC station. From there I was able to make a connection between the 313C and the PC station via TCP/IP. And through the WinCC RT pro. application I was able to create HMI tags and access the DB that way.

I have added a few screenshots for reference. My question is how can I achieve this with the CPU 317 which only has an MPI/DP comms port. I noticed that when I set up the connection in the WinCC RT app. I am able to select MPI as one of the interfaces. Would this work?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Setup.PNG Setup2.PNG MPI.PNG

Disclaimer, I dont have specific experience with WinCC Pro.

I am certain that you can connect your WinCC Pro RT to the 317 via MPI or DP.

I notice that the screnshot for the MPI connection, the access point is set to MPI.
I would have guessed that it would be S7ONLNE, just like when you have a TCP/IP connection.
The S7ONLINE access point is set with the Windows Control Panel utility program Communication Settings.

On the target PC, with WinCC Pro RT installed, can you find and open the Windows Control Panel utility program Communication Settings.
Can you find the access point S7ONLINE ? If so what is it set to ?
Can you find the access point MPI ? If so what is it set to ?

Disclaimer, I dont have specific experience with WinCC Pro.

I am certain that you can connect your WinCC Pro RT to the 317 via MPI or DP.

I notice that the screnshot for the MPI connection, the access point is set to MPI.
I would have guessed that it would be S7ONLNE, just like when you have a TCP/IP connection.
The S7ONLINE access point is set with the Windows Control Panel utility program Communication Settings.

On the target PC, with WinCC Pro RT installed, can you find and open the Windows Control Panel utility program Communication Settings.
Can you find the access point S7ONLINE ? If so what is it set to ?
Can you find the access point MPI ? If so what is it set to ?

Thank you for your response. This is what it's set to. Is this what you are referring to? I am not able to select S7ONLINE as I am with the TCP/IP connection.

Comms.PNG MPI2.PNG

OK, it seems that there is no other way than selecting the access point = MPI.
If you expand the MPI access point in the 1st screenshot, at the [>] arrow, what choices do you have ?

I am guessing that you have to install a CP5621, a CP5622 or something similar in the PC.
The card will then appear in the list of devices, and you can assign it to the MPI access point.

edit: What do you intend to use for hardware to connect the PC to the 317 PLC ?

Your choice is the siemens pci cards 5622 ... (something like that) or a usb 5711

forget the rs232 idea (in my opinion)

56_57.jpg

JRW thank you for your suggestions. You see...I don't have a Simatic PC but rather my WinCC software is installed on a dell server. Which of these options would be best for my application?

Also, the distance between my "PC" and S7 are about 40 or so ft apart, can MPI travel that far? Do I need to worry about it?

Just curious
Columbia in what state?

Also
5711 is usb to mpi/profibus. It wouldn’t hurt to get a quote on that too

Mpi can go couple hundred meters at 187.5 k if memory serves

Just curious
Columbia in what state?

Also
5711 is usb to mpi/profibus. It wouldn’t hurt to get a quote on that too

Mpi can go couple hundred meters at 187.5 k if memory serves

thanks I will look into that as well. I happen to be in Columbia, MO