Wonderware Trends not working

Scooby1

I have a customer who is using Wonderware version 9.0. They have the application on multiple computers in their plant. There is one computer that won't show the trends that are on the screens. Instead of showing the trend it just shows a black box. If you click on the black box it will bring up the configuration for the trend. I don't know a whole lot about wonderware, so I'm wondering what this computer is missing that will let the trends show up when the application is running.

check that historical data manager program is running and that there is lots of hard drive space. also check the trend is configured to look at the proper directory where the data is stored.

How do I check to see if the historical data manager is running? There looks to be plenty of hard drive space available and the tags are pointing to the same place that the other computers that work are pointed to.

historical data manager is a separate windows program from wonderware, but it comes with wonderware. we always have to have it running on our wonderware HMIs or the trending doesn't work. check that you see it in the task bar?

I checked the computer where the trend was not working correctly and I checked a computer where the trends were working correctly, both computers only had the Windowviewer program running on the windows taskbar.

Hi Scoob

The data manager doesnt necassarily need to be running to view trends i never use it unless i need to export trend data to CSV.

what you do need to check though, is...

1.open windowmaker
2. click special/configure/historical logging
3. make sure logging enabled checkbox is checked.
4. check the logging directory in the same Dialog box, intouch will not create the folder automatically, so whatever folder its logging to needs to either be created manually, or change the directory to a folder that exists locally or on the network.

if this doesnt work its also possible that the 16 pen trends were not installed on that machine during installation. (its not selected for install by default)

hope this helps

Brendon

Last edited:
Simply changing the clock can cause the trending function to crash in InTouch, if the time is set backward, rather than forward. If the historical trend program finds a file in the logging folder with a future time stamp, then it will crash and the black screen is all that you'll see. Of course, you'd also get a black screen if your trend chart is displaying a time period in the past during which no data was logged.

Oh, and Brendonh is right. You don't need to run the Historical Data Manager to display trends. You only need that program to convert trend file data to a .csv file format.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice guys. I still haven't been able to get the trends working. I added a new historical trend with just one pen and it still comes up as a black box when I start the trend. The trend also doesn't seem to be logging anything. I do have the logging enabled checkbox checked and I pointed it to a folder that I manually created on the computer. There are no files that show up in the folder once I run the project.

I started a brand new Wonderware application just to take everything else out. I added one screen with one trend made using the Hist Trend w/Scooters and Scale wizard and added one tag pointed to my PLC. I enabled Historical Logging and have the historical logging stored in the C:\Logging folder. It did create a logging file in that folder. I'm not sure how to view those. But the trend still shows up as just a black box when I run the Wonderware project.

ok thats odd, in your logging folder did it create an .idx and a .lgh file?

if it did you should be golden, like i mentioned the only other time i've had issues when viewing trends once the .lgh files are created has been caused by not having 16 pen trends installed. (see attached image).

the other occasion was fixed by installing the latest intouch service pack for the version i was running, do you have more info on what intouch version you are running and the operating system installed on the machine?

the other thing that might be worthwhile trying is disabling firewalls and/or antiviruses and starting up the historical data manager (start/wonderware/intouch/histdata.exe)

trend install.JPG

I started a brand new Wonderware application just to take everything else out. I added one screen with one trend made using the Hist Trend w/Scooters and Scale wizard and added one tag pointed to my PLC. I enabled Historical Logging and have the historical logging stored in the C:\Logging folder. It did create a logging file in that folder. I'm not sure how to view those. But the trend still shows up as just a black box when I run the Wonderware project.

Did you click the "Log Data" option box on the test tag that you created? Tag data will not be logged if the tag is not configured for logging. By default, this option is turned off on all new tags created.

the other thing that might be worthwhile trying is disabling firewalls and/or antiviruses and starting up the historical data manager (start/wonderware/intouch/histdata.exe)

Brendonh,

You were right the first time. HDM is not required for trending in InTouch. Absolutely, positively not required.

Help with trending

I have a windows 7 machine that has In touch 10.1 on it and I am trying to add a tag to a pen that is free in my historical trend chart. When I try do this in window maker I get an error that says cannot define name of this type dynamically even though my tag is already in the directory. I can how ever add it in the window viewer page but it just reads 0 all the time even though the value is changing see the image attached on the error. The tag is selected to log. I have tried everything I know to do lol

I had the same issue. I followed the same steps outlined in Brendonh's comment. I checked to make sure that Hist Data box was checked, but when I started WV, no Hist data present... I went back on WM and UN-checked the box, then checked it again, restarted WV and BOOM! Hist Data was logging again.
Hope this helps.

Please drop Hist Data comments!
Hist Data is ONLY required if you want to extract data from the Intouch log files to build a csv file!
Has nothing to do with Intouch trend window which is directly linked to the Intouch LGH files.