Kintetix 5500 and 1769-L18ERM

dmayhugh

I am using studio 5000 v24 software for controlling a servo drive. Kinetix 5500 and using the 1769-L18ERM processor.

The module I created the revision for the drive is 1.1 The actual revision for the drive is 7.0

What do I need to add so that my software will allow me to change the module to 7.0

When I click on the properties of the drive in RSLinx that is where I see the drive is 7.0.

Is there an AOP that I need to install? It appears that I have the correct EDS files.

Thank you for your assistance/

Under the IO Configuration in your project, open up the properties for the servo. On the general tab, there is a Change button for module definition. Change the revision there.

Try this offline first. If you can select version 7.0, then you have the updated AOP. If 7.0 is not a choice while offline, then you need to go the AB website and download the latest AOP.

If you can change it offline, the easiest thing to do is to change it there and download it.

You might be able to change it online, but that sometimes is more difficult.

Static in Motion...

kamenges said:
I didn't think the K5500 was supported until V28...

Keith,

The Kinetix 5500 servo drives have been supported since the introduction of Studio 5000/Logix Designer. Firmware Revision 1.x of the first drives were released with Studio 5000 v21.

kekrahulik said:
...If you can select version 7.0, then you have the updated AOP. If 7.0 is not a choice while offline, then you need to go the AB website and download the latest AOP...

It's not that simple when dealing with Motion.

dmayhugh said:
I also have to install Studio 5000 V26. The AOP is not compatible with V24.

I'm afraid you would have go to a bit further than v26. A Kinetix 5500 servo drive, at firmware revision 7.x, will not be selectable in any version of Logix Designer lower than v29. That is, if you must set Electronic Keying to Exact Match and the module's revision to 7.x.

For Motion devices it is not as simple as installing a newer AOP and then newer revisions will be automatically available in Logix Designer. Motion devices are hardware lock-stepped with the version of software used. Different versions of Studio 5000, and hence Logix Designer, will only support firmware revisions that were available at the time of their release. Even if you update the Motion Database, Motion Core, and the Motion Profiles, the Logix Designer software will only know about the revisions it was installed with and designed to support. This is because the hardware list is predefined in Extensible Markup Language (XML) and the *.xml files are installed within the version specific folder for the relevant Logix Designer version. Each version of Logix Designer references its own specific xml files to determine, among other things, which revisions may be selected for a particular Motion Module Instance. Updating the Motion Profiles does not update the reference files. They remain fixed to their version of software.

Example:

v24 Logix Designer:

2198-H003-ERS Kinetix 5500 1A STO (released at revision 1.x)
Selectable Revision: 1.x, 2.x (Lock-Stepped to v24)

2198-H070-ERS2 Kinetix 5500 23A STO (released at revision 2.x)
Selectable Revision: 2.x (Lock-Stepped to v24)

v26 Logix Designer:

2198-H003-ERS Kinetix 5500 1A STO (newer revisions available)
Selectable Revision: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x, 5.x (Lock-Stepped to v26)

2198-H070-ERS2 Kinetix 5500 23A STO (newer revisions available)
Selectable Revision: 2.x, 3.x, 4.x, 5.x (Lock-Stepped to v26)

v27 & v28 Logix Designer:

Same as v26

v29 Logix Designer:

2198-H003-ERS Kinetix 5500 1A STO (revision 7.x now available)
Selectable Revision: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, 7.x (Lock-Stepped to v29)

2198-H070-ERS2 Kinetix 5500 23A STO (revision 7.x now available)
Selectable Revision: 2.x, 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, 7.x (Lock-Stepped to v29)

v30 Logix Designer:

Same as v29

Notice how the same module revision support will sometimes carry through from version to version or several successive versions. This is, of course, because the Motion firmware updates are released independently to Studio 5000 updates. But, if a newer version of Studio 5000 is released, and there has been Motion firmware updates since the last Studio 5000 release; the most recent updates will then be hardware Lock-Stepped into the new Studio 5000 version i.e. added to the xml Motion reference files.

If a Kinetix 5500 servo drive supports firmware revisions 1.x - 7.x, then to be able to select any of those revisions you must be using Logix Designer v29 minimum. Else you can select the highest available revision and use Compatible Module for the Electronic Keying. However, if there are features or fixes that you require in the newer revision then these will not available while using the older software version. You must use the later software version and select the required firmware revision for the module so as to expose the required features.

An example of the difference observed in different versions of Logix Designer on the same workstation with the latest Motion Profiles installed...

v24
LGX_DSGR_V24_Motion_Rev.bmp

v26
LGX_DSGR_V26_Motion_Rev.bmp

Regardless of all current revisions for this servo drive, up to r7.x, being available on this workstation, v24 and v26 can only reference and provide their Lock-Stepped revisions.

Regards,
George

I have my doubts about the accuracy of those results from the PCDC webpage?

I don't think it is considering, specifically, the firmware revision selection for the Kinetix 5500 servo drive family of products. I think it is is merely considering the drives in general as being "Compatible" in that the Kinetix 5500 servo drives may be selected and added within a v26 Logix Designer project. You will not be able to select firmware revision 7.x for these drives under Logix Designer v26. Only up as far as revision 5.x, as demonstrated above. For revision 7.x you must use Logix Designer v29, minimum.

I have since found this which may help to further illustrate the point...

732597 - Kinetix 5x00-ERS, ERS2, ERS3 - Selectable major firmware revisions 1.xx, 2.xx, 3.xx, 4.xx, 5xxx, 7.xxx for various Logix releases
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George