S7-200 help connecting

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I have to connect to a Siemens S7-200 CPU 224-XP using a serial connection with DB9 to USB converter. The converter is connected and, according to device manager, all is well. I am using Step 7 Micro/Win so that I can upload what is currently running in the CPU however, it keeps saying "Specified access point not found". I haven't connected to one of these for about 12 years so I don't remember what step I am missing. I have a line down and called tech support however, they want $330 to help me with this legacy junk. I am sure hoping someone here can help. Thank you

perhaps have a look at this:
https://support.industry.siemens.co...nstallation-problem/81753/?page=0&pageSize=10
It may help you, it could be something to do with the microwin version & windows version.

I was trying to connect to a bench unit to refresh my memory however, I now have the actual CPU which is an S7-200 SMART, CPUSR60. My version of Step7 is v4.0.9.25. Do you know if this software will work for this CPU or will I need a newer version? I am not able to use TIA Portal, right? Thanks

I ran into something like that once when attempting to connect to an S7-200 PLC using MicroWin. Turns out if RSLinx is running in the backround MicroWin will not be able to communicate. I had to close linx out for everything to work.

And, you are correct. Portal will not work for the S7-200

I ran into something like that once when attempting to connect to an S7-200 PLC using MicroWin. Turns out if RSLinx is running in the backround MicroWin will not be able to communicate. I had to close linx out for everything to work.

And, you are correct. Portal will not work for the S7-200

Turns out, I need Step 7 Micro/Win SMART v2.5. Siemens in the U.S. cant support it, has to be someone in China. Can't even purchase it from my local vendor! :sick:

Hi Brent,

I think its a RS232 cable not a PPI, try searching the Siemens website and see if you can find it... not sure if MicroWin will work with them either, they are a different beast (stupid 200) :)

Have you contacted the manufacture?

I take it the machine doesn't produce much that it remained down for 330 bucks.
You can get a copy of microwin smart and give it a try. It is available on the net but you would I doubt it is legal.

I have had to support S7 smart PLCs. I ended up having to grab a copy from some vietnamese guy. Worked ok. I gave up trying to get WinCC smart working as you need to run a chinese version of windows for it to install.

I take it the machine doesn't produce much that it remained down for 330 bucks.
You can get a copy of microwin smart and give it a try. It is available on the net but you would I doubt it is legal.

They won't even support it in North America. I have to call China. So, the 330 bucks isn't on the table anymore. Lol

I have had to support S7 smart PLCs. I ended up having to grab a copy from some vietnamese guy. Worked ok. I gave up trying to get WinCC smart working as you need to run a chinese version of windows for it to install.

Thankfully, the owner said "get rid of this Siemens junk and build this with an AB PLC and HMI". I don't agree that Siemens is junk, but I am glad he isn't sending me to China for the software. :)