S7-1200 firmware questions (new to Siemens)

BinderNut

Question for the Siemens gurus here.

We have one stand-alone piece of equipment that is running an S7-1200 processor.
The manufacturer has locked the PLC and we do not have Siemens software in the plant anyway.

Is there a way to verify the firmware version of the hardware of the processor?
Can you do a firmware update on a Siemens processor with no changes required to the program?

Attached is a status screen of the unit but it only displays TIA Portal v14 and no firmware info.

Corporate IT is pushing more towards securing our process machinery and has sent a firmware vulnerability update that we're trying to investigate if any action is required and what steps we'll need to take.
Thanks!

2021-06-01_12-17-04.jpg

I think you can get the firmware version with the Siemens free tool called PRONETA, which can be downloaded from their website.

Question for the Siemens gurus here.

We have one stand-alone piece of equipment that is running an S7-1200 processor.
The manufacturer has locked the PLC and we do not have Siemens software in the plant anyway.

Is there a way to verify the firmware version of the hardware of the processor?
Can you do a firmware update on a Siemens processor with no changes required to the program?

Attached is a status screen of the unit but it only displays TIA Portal v14 and no firmware info.

Corporate IT is pushing more towards securing our process machinery and has sent a firmware vulnerability update that we're trying to investigate if any action is required and what steps we'll need to take.
Thanks!

PRONETA is a free tool that you can use to browse your network and see what Profinet devices (like your PLC) exist. Once you've found your PLC, you can see details on it, like part number and SW version.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/ww/en/view/67460624

The easiest way to update the FW is via a memory card. If the PLC doesn't already have one, you'll need to order one from Siemens (at least 24MB size, 6ES7954-8LF03-0AA0). It costs more than you probably expect.

There is also a downloadable tool called the Simatic Automation Tool

Based on your screenshot, the link below probably has the FW files you want. Note that the Siemens FW model is that, generally speaking, a CPU with newer FW loaded will pretend to be an older version if that's what the program is; they call this "spare part compatible". If you are V3 you cannot go to V4 (different HW), but V4 CPUs started being available before V14, so hopefully you're OK.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/107539750

HOWEVER I don't know if the project is retained after a FW update. It's been a really long time since I tried. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Ultimately, I'd recommend calling Siemens Tech Support. It's free, the response time is usually decent, and the calls get routed to Siemens engineers in TN, not the stereotypical "Fred in Bangalore".

1-800-333-7421

Thanks for the information!
We're in contact with the machine manufacturer now also so hopefully they can provide more info as to if the program will be retained after FW update.

The current firmware on this processor is v4.1 .
We've located the firmware files on Siemens site but are just looking for more information before moving forward with FW updates.