Question about changing Subnet of CompactLogix 1769 and connected Devices

sooner

Hi everyone, I am relatively new to the controls world and I am needing some help on something. We have a pretty new piece of equipment installed here before I started my job. It looks like the vendors who installed the equipment set up the PLC, Flowmeter (Endress Hauser ProMass 100 to be exact) and PowerFlex 525, HMI (PanelView 7) on the wrong subnet and gateway. They left those as the default subnet mask and gateway instead of matching our plant network. The actual IP addresses are fine. So, I am able to communicate to the PLC and equipment, but not without changing some things on my end. I am needing to get everything on the right subnet and I noticed that it looks like on RSLinx Classic, you can simply configure and change the IP settings of all of the equipment, PLC, Flowmeter, VFD, HMI. Is that the right and easiest way to do it? Also, does it matter which piece of equipment I change first? I assume I would need to change the VFD, HMI, and Flowmeter first before I change the PLC.

When you make the change, the PLC will lose communications with that specific device until both the PLC and the device have been changed. So, it is up to you what you want to change first. It really doesn't matter. I would leave the HMI for last though. In my mind, it is the least important device.

When it was safe to do so, I would begin by changing the PLC first.

If RSLinx will allow you to change the IP settings, then that is definitely the easiest way to go. Some devices may not allow it.

Keep in mind once you change the IP address, RSLinx will lose the connection to that device.

OG