How to transfer data between Logix 5000 and Siemens S200

aattanayake

Hi,
I have a Allen Bradley 1756-L61 PLC and 5 Siemens S200 (processor S226). I like to transfer data between all these PLCs.
Is there a way to do this using the existing hardware?
I'm hoping there is a way to use the RS485 ports read and write few bytes worth of data.
Please let me know .....

Allen Bradley rack has:
Ethernet card, Serial 232 port, DH485 port & DeviceNet card

Siemens S200 has:
2 RS485 ports

Draw.JPG

You can do that with programming and hard wires connected both inputs and outputs of control systems to transfer such data. However, i must warn you, this will introduce a complexity in the control systems, and raise the cost of maintenance. OPC Data Manager is specifically designed to share real-time, historical, and Alarm and Events data between two or more control systems in a secure and reliable manner. In summary, OPC Data Manager, will share your Alarms and Real-time data between your Siemens PLC and Allen Bradley and vice versus. Download it from here:

http://www.matrikonopc.com/products/opc-data-management/opc-data-manager.aspx

You might need an OPC Server for Siemens S7 PLC, if you don't already have one:
http://www.matrikonopc.com/opc-drivers/opc-siemens-s7-plc/base-driver-details.aspx

and also an OPC Server for Allen Bradley:
http://www.matrikonopc.com/opc-drivers/opc-Allen-Bradley/base-driver-details.aspx

Hope this was helpful

Wassim Daoud
Global Solutions Architect

JRW,
When I open the port from RsLogix 5000, these are the options I get:
1. DF1 Master
2. DF1 Point to Point
3. DF1 Radio Modem
4. DF1 Slave
5. DH485

The Plc Kid,
I was hoping to use the existing hardware to do this. Because there is no money to buy any additional hardware in the project.

Thanks for your help,
Anton

Last edited:
Hi there,

The S200´s can be Modbus RTU master/slave and from what it seems the AB PLC cannot do Modbus?? If this is the case, you will probably need some hardware that will enable communication. I would probably set it up as follows:
AB PLC = DeviceNet scanner
S7-200 = Modbus RTU slave
1 DeviceNet adapter to Modbus RTU master (gateway).

The gateway will be master over the S200´s and it will be DeviceNet adapter (slave) with the AB PLC.

There are several gateway manufactures out there.

I work for a company called HMS and we make those gateways, if interrested go to:
http://www.anybus.com/support/support.asp?PID=105&ProductType=Anybus Communicator

Best regards

Patrick Lansdorf

Hi, I am doing a similar application at present. I am using CLX serial port as Modbus master. You "HAVE" to add an Allen Bradley 1761-NET-AIC or similar to serial port to give RS485 multi drop. This device is probably going to be the cheapest way for you.

There is some free start up code on AB website to get you started.

Regards...

Thanks

Thank you all for talking the time to give me a hand.

I would like to try Vernon1's option since it is the most economical. I'll let you all know what happen with the project later on with more info.

If you are using an HMI, you could pass tags thru the HMI from one plc to another. Redlion also has the DataStation Plus that is like an HMI without the screen. There are many protocals supported on most of these HMI's and can allow most anything to talk to most anything.

If you are using an HMI, you could pass tags thru the HMI from one plc to another. Redlion also has the DataStation Plus that is like an HMI without the screen. There are many protocals supported on most of these HMI's and can allow most anything to talk to most anything.

yes when using a multidriver hmi, you can copy data on a scrip from 1 driver tag to the other driver tags

but there is no easy way to traduc Siemens speaking to AB or AB to Siemens without a gateway. S7200 family has the capability to also speak the universal Modbus RTU but your AB need to be able to understand it too....

Last edited:
I second the Red Lion plus. I was at a Red Lion class yesterday and the instructor was showing us your exact problem. You could either read or write to the Modbus. I believe the module is in the $400 - $500 range. The software (Crimson 3.0) is free.