"E-Terminals" opinions...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Has anybody here used one of Beijer's E-series graphic HMIs?

www.e-terminals.com

I inquired about sources of non-touch screen graphic displays in my recent "Fuji Bit Types" topic (with no response). Seppo's cookie problem (THIS THREAD) prompted me to investigate these HMIs, so I downloaded the manual and demo software. It seems like an E700 would be a good fit for my application.

I'm mainly wondering what kind of learning curve I'm going to face with the software. It looks pretty straightforward, but I'd like to hear about any horror stories before I wind up writing my own... banghead

Any comments, good or bad, would be appreciated!... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

I've used several Cimrex HMI's which also use the same Beijer software your talking of, and also the Mitsi E-200 (again, same software). It's fairly easy to get to grips with (most things seem to be where you expect them to be). I did find the software far more flexible in terms of screen capabilities than the Bradleys and their PV's (built in trending and recipe's as standard).

It's driver database is quite extensive, and has no problem talking to SLC's and Micrologix.

The only issue i've had (and as far as i know it still hasn't been resolved), was when i set the HMI as a Modbus Master for a particular application. It would READ bits and words ok, but threw up comms error whenever i tried to WRITE a word to the slave.

But overall, not too bad.

My 2p worth anyway!

Rob.

The E700 was a very simple thing for me to pick up. I had a bit of experience with the more basic E100's, but when a project came up with an E700 on it, I would say that I spent more time playing with all the different options than actually having to learn.
With mostly Mitsubishi experience, there was almost no learning curve. Even without the experience, I would say that it is a simple thing to use-- I find the E series to be much more user friendly and intuitive than a Panelview for instance.

I programmed E900 some three years ago. It was excellent. Very easy to learn and so on. Passthrough was also impressive. Old PanelView cannot compared with that product at all. But if you have seen PanelView Plus with your own eyes, you realise that E-series cannot beat that. Maybe programming environment is more complicated, but there is much more options also.

Eric,
These HMI's and the E-Designer are very simple. A guy of your caliber will find these to be very, very, easy to use. Heck, probably a day or two and you'll be done. I've only used the E615 "landscape" and the E100.
Tim 🍺

The only issue i've had (and as far as i know it still hasn't been resolved), was when i set the HMI as a Modbus Master for a particular application. It would READ bits and words ok, but threw up comms error whenever i tried to WRITE a word to the slave.

Kidblue,
I've used many E series to read and write bits and words using Modbus RTU to several devices with no issues. How do you have the setttings?
Setup/Peripherals/Modbus Master RTU

Again, i've programmed E300, E600 and E900's and they are all easy to pick up.

I'm currently using TCP/IP to connect 3 E900's together all with relative ease.

You shouldn't have any problems and if you do, judging by the responses here, there are plenty of people that can help.

I have programmed a bunch of the E900T units using E-Designer. I second Tim's response. You should have no problems and I venture to say you will even find it fun.

Steve

I've had some problems when E-Designer was installed in a W2K Server running as Web pages server / listening to Doctor Laura and Net Radio, Monitoring Live a Q02 CPU with GX-Dev. whyle the E900 was exchanging Data with a E150ET and I did download an animated GIF file within the Web Server memory of the E900 with HMI Tools . All this through my Internet / Linksys Router connection.

Ho ya, I was also burning a music CD at the time.

beerchug

Got to stop this Doc Laura stuff.

Wow, nearly all positive responses!... :cool:

I got a quote today and even the price is reasonable! Looks like I'll take the leap and give one a try!... :D

Thnaks for the help guys!... (y)

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. Pierre, you should ask Doctor Laura to buy you a new, faster 'puter!... ;)

Wow, I was going to post the same question.
I am quoting Mitsubishi FX PLC setup and vendor recommended E910T.
Nice price for the starter kit. I feel much better now.

Starter kit? What starter kit? My distributor didn't mention any starter kit. What does this 'starter kit' include?... :confused:

BTalbot, please bug Tom F. 'bout this 'starter kit' for me... ;) :D

beerchug

-Eric

I was quoted Mitsubishi starter kit - one time introductory discount.
Part number E910T-K, included all hardware, programming PC cable, programming software, manual. $1995 - no discount.
Next time price will be $3375 list before OEM discount.

E615-K kit was quoted at $945

Same situation with FX PLC starter kit - PLC, GX developer, SC09 cable.

I don't know if this will be one per OEM (myself) or one for each of my customers.

I was told it comes from Mitsu, not from the local distbutor.
Let ke know, I can sent you a copy of the quote.

I think the E series are ok but I will give you a few down points.

1, you have to make an ugly hole in the panel to fit them. Not a nice square hole - the fastening screws are all over the place with very little room for adjustment.

2, On the 'none touchscreen' models - the buttons and led's are badly placed. This can be very confusing for the operator.

3, The peice of paper (for want of a better word) that lables the led's and buttons is very hard to get out and even harder to put back in, and if you want to re-lable a button after you have fitted the hmi - you have to take the whole thing out.

4, Recipes; these are very difficult to understand. The documentation is very poor (or maybe that's just me) It took me ages to get to grips with them.

5, only a little point but when an alarm is triggered it flashes in the top right corner. You have to design your screen so that nothing else overlaps in this corner.

Just a few points :D

Wacth out for this:

A Client of mine bought a starter kit just 1 month ago and he got FX-Win instead of Gx-Dev.

Boy was he in for a surprise!