PLC5 SLC500 migration to Controllogix

felmed

Hi fellows,

I must make a presentation about the migration of 3 PLC5 and 4 SLC500 migration to the Controllogix Platform. I never have made this procedure, so I´m the perfect candidate to make a bad reach estimation. I really appreciate you help about info to attach at the presentation -specially the SLC IO migration Procedure- and the experiences that you have that let me make a good stimation of the time I will spend and the problems I will have.

Thanks A lot.

There is a conversion feature in the RSLogix 5000 software, but it won't get you 100% there. We decided that the review and de-bugging was going to take as much effort as re-writing from scratch, so we went that route.

The biggest difference is tag based addressing instead of register based. It takes a little longer to set up, but does make the code more readable. The User Defined Parameters are a huge time saver -- if you set up pump 1, for example, setting up pump 2 is virtually no effort.

The logic itself it nearly identical - no problems there.

You mentioned SLC IO migration...

If you are intending to keep 1771 I/O racks from the PLC-5s and 1747 I/O racks from the SLC, that is very workable.

I know this has been covered before on here so do use the search feature to find more info.

I agree with Tom's assessment of the software migration. I'd rewrite if I had the opportunity as well.

If you are keeping existing I/O racks, the most obvious approach is to put a 1756-DHRIO card in the ControlLogix and run RIO to the existing ASB modules in the existing racks.

One thing to watch out for hardware-wise is lots of analog I/O cards in 1771 racks. The ASB modules are fine for digital I/O and a reasonable amount of analog I/O. Most systems will function just fine but if you have a lot of analog and want fast updates, you may have a bottleneck at the ASB module.

In general, this is a pretty straightforward project. There are lots of people out there (and on this forum) with experience doing this.

What problem do I will expect with the SLC IO migration. The PLC5 to controllogix has no problems in this aspect. Can I keep the IO existing wiring or Do i have to wire all again?

That depends on your SLC hardware. Any I/O wired to brick-type SLCs would need to be reterminated. Any I/O in 1747 I/O racks can work the same way as the 1771 racks from the PLC5. Simply run RIO to the ASB module in the rack. If the racks were originally remote racks and already have an ASB module, you should not need any new hardware. If they were originally local racks with a processor, you would replace the processor with an ASB module.