Starter Kit

2tolbert

I went to my AB distributor today here in Greenville, and found out that they no longer offer the starter kit for 10 pt Micrologix 1000. I was told on another site that I could purchase this kit for about a $120, but I found out different. However, they did have another kit for $550. This kit consists of:1761-L16BWA controler, 9324-RL0100END RSLogix 500 Starter Software, input switch simulator, user documentation, and a 1761-CBL-PM02 communication cable. I ask, is this a good package to start with on my windows xp home edition? Any advice or criticism would be greatly appreciated. By the way, constructive critiicism does the mind and soul good. THANKS..

Last edited:
(grits teeth, chooses high road)

The 10-point MicroLogix starter kit is a matter of "not yet", rather than "not anymore".

The 16-point starter kit should sell for less than you were quoted, but it's the distributor's call on pricing that. Most use them at deep discount as part of classes, so they may price them higher for single-purchase. They do include an honest licensed copy of RSLogix 500 Starter.

The 10-point starter kit will have the "10-point-only" software and no input simulator, so it should be priced right down around $125 USD. In fact, I think the price is printed right on the box, which excited and confused some Canadians.

I haven't gotten a part number on the new, smaller, less expensive starter kit yet.

If this is for small I/O jobs or learning purposes only, AB still has their free download for the Micrologix 1000 10-point only software. The controllers for that many I/O is between $100-150. I don't know what the cable lists for, but it may be purchased from Automation Direct for twenty bucks, or so. Additionally, these PLCs sell pretty inexpensively on E-Bay.

PS--Don't forget to download RSLinx Lite, the communication software needed to "Speak" with the processor.

http://www.ab.com/plclogic/micrologix/

Follow the instructions on the right hand side of the screen.

Hope this info helps.

If you wish to play with the big boys at sometime in the future then a grounding in the Micrologix range will go a long way to helping you.
Regards Alan Case

2tolbert ,
The starter kit you described sounds like one I bought years ago. It was well worth the price. That input simulator switch board is very useful. I still have my switch simulator (Micrologix 1000 is long gone, sold), and have used it on many other brands of PLCs, by bending the switch leads around to different terminal configurations!