Panelview convert PLC5 to Controllogix

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a Panelview 1000.
Originally its was communicating to a PLC5.
I replaced the PLC5 with Controllogix. I have converted the PLC logic to Controllogix.
Regrettably, because it is a conversion there is not a link between the Panelview tags and the PLC tags.
Now, I want to connect the Panelview to the Controllogix plc.
Can I just dumb the database from the Panelview and convert the tags in the Panelview from PLC5 format to Controllogix format (example....F138:0 to F138[0]) then reload the database?

I have a Panelview 1000.
Originally its was communicating to a PLC5.
I replaced the PLC5 with Controllogix. I have converted the PLC logic to Controllogix.
Regrettably, because it is a conversion there is not a link between the Panelview tags and the PLC tags.
Now, I want to connect the Panelview to the Controllogix plc.
Can I just dumb the database from the Panelview and convert the tags in the Panelview from PLC5 format to Controllogix format (example....F138:0 to F138[0]) then reload the database?

Yes you can, but it might be simpler to add "PLC/SLC mapping" to the ControlLogix (look in the "Logic" menu bar in RSLogix5000).

In there, specify the tag-names of the PLC-5 files that were converted.

eg. File number 138 is mapped to tag F138

The PanelView will still think it is talking to a PLC5, but the mapping handles the access to the tags converted from PLC5 files.

Last edited:
I would map but I have 700 tags and you cannot cut and paste into the "map", PLUS every time you edit the Panelview, you have to edit the map and re-download edited map from Logix5000 to Controllogix.

It seems a lot easier to open the Panelview database in Excel, convert the I/O tags, using "find/replace" to remove colon and add brackets, then reload the database to the Panelview.

Then any additional work on the Panelview will not require RSlogix5000 download to Controllogix PLC.

The whole point of the "Mapping" feature is to use INT[x] or REAL[x] array tags and correlate them with PLC data files.

How many different data files are your 700 tags addressed to ?

I've done a lot of this, where I removed direct references to Timer and Counter accumulators, or re-formatted the way strings worked.

If your PanelView application is fragmented and disorganized, this is a perfect opportunity to fix it. It's painful but it will pay off big time in maintainability and performance.

What network is the PanelView 1000 using ?

Last edited:
The whole point of the "Mapping" feature is to use INT[x] or REAL[x] array tags and correlate them with PLC data files.

How many different data files are your 700 tags addressed to ?

I've done a lot of this, where I removed direct references to Timer and Counter accumulators, or re-formatted the way strings worked.

If your PanelView application is fragmented and disorganized, this is a perfect opportunity to fix it. It's painful but it will pay off big time in maintainability and performance.

What network is the PanelView 1000 using ?

I thought that the only reason to use the Controllogix 'map' in RSLogix5000 was to link PLC5 addresses to Controllogix addressing. How would that fix fragmenting??

Correct me if I am wrong...but in an ideal world, the Panelview app would have access to the Controllogix addresses thru the Factorytalk-RSLogix5000 link? The I just drag and drop the addresses into the Panelview that way.
But I do not have that privilege because of the fact it is part of a conversion from PLC5 to Controllogix and even if I did it seems way to hard to go to 700+ tags to edit them in the Panelview with Factorytalk..

Doing a database dump from the Panelview app, then edit tag addressing with Excel and then reload the database sounds so much easier, if possible.
That is IF the Panelview follows a tag name/address setup (like Wonderware tag database). If the Panelview links use direct reference to the PLC address then that makes it a problem and I will probably have to use the map.

It is a Panelview Plus 1000 and I am talking Ethernet/IP to Controllogix.

I just did exactly what you're talking about on a ME project...Exported the database, and using search/replace, changed the old tag names to new CLX format. Knowing I was in for that, I used CLX names that made it easy. For example, N7:0 became SLC_N7[0], or B3:0/0 became SLC_B3[0].0. So searching for :'s and /'s and replacing with [] and . made short work of the conversion.

Now, having said that, it was only for 30 or so tags that I was porting over from a SLC project that became a remote I/O rack to a much larger CLX. Me personally, I wouldn't advocate making an entire CLX program in format of N7[], B3[], T4[], etc. Kind of defeats the purpose and power of tag naming in the CLX. For 700 tags, I'd probably bite the bullet and write the CLX program with meaningful tags and using excel, start replacing names....wouldn't take but a few hours honestly.

I am doing this job for a customer and have a limited amount of time to spend on the project.

If editing the database and reloading it will work, that appears to be the path I will try.

NetNathen, if time is money to you, and you are happy with your PLC5 to Logix5000 conversion, then simply adding "Map PLC/SLC tags" to your Logix5000 application is going to be the simplest, and therefore cheapest, solution.

Because we know it's a PanelView Plus 1000, we have the tools from FactoryTalk View ME to work with.

You have also identified one of the hurdles to doing mass edits of FactoryTalk View projects; the data sources can be HMI Tags or they can be Direct References to controller addresses, or a mix.

My first step would be to use the Project Documenter utility to look at the project. It will let you export both the HMI Tag Database and all the Direct References.

If you need to do mass search/replaces in FactoryTalk View ME, use the Tag Substitution feature in each Display, or export the displays into XML format, edit them, then re-import them.

Because we know it's a PanelView Plus 1000, we have the tools from FactoryTalk View ME to work with.

You have also identified one of the hurdles to doing mass edits of FactoryTalk View projects; the data sources can be HMI Tags or they can be Direct References to controller addresses, or a mix.

My first step would be to use the Project Documenter utility to look at the project. It will let you export both the HMI Tag Database and all the Direct References.

If you need to do mass search/replaces in FactoryTalk View ME, use the Tag Substitution feature in each Display, or export the displays into XML format, edit them, then re-import them.

Hmmmm....
I will look into this.
Would I use FactoryTalk View ME or Studio?

As far as my other 2 choices.....map in ControlLogix or edit Panelview database. I don't understand why everyone thinks it is easier to individually map 700+ tags over using find/replace in Excel (to edit addresses by replacing colons with brackets) and then reload database to Panelview.

Last edited:
The whole point is that you don't individually map Address <--> Tag.

You map Data Table <--> Array Tag.

Much depends on how many different data tables your PanelView application addresses. If it's all over the place you might have a large number of different array tags to create. If it uses a lot of direct access to .ACC and .PRE sub-elements of Timers and Counters (or other structured datatypes) you will have to reprogram how those are used.

If the original program was well structured and references only a handful of B, N, or F data tables in the PLC-5, this could be a ten-minute process.

If you can post the *.APA archive file, folks might be able to help have a look at it.

The whole point is that you don't individually map Address <--> Tag.

You map Data Table <--> Array Tag.

Much depends on how many different data tables your PanelView application addresses. If it's all over the place you might have a large number of different array tags to create. If it uses a lot of direct access to .ACC and .PRE sub-elements of Timers and Counters (or other structured datatypes) you will have to reprogram how those are used.

If the original program was well structured and references only a handful of B, N, or F data tables in the PLC-5, this could be a ten-minute process.

If you can post the *.APA archive file, folks might be able to help have a look at it.

Doesn't mapping take care of this, Ken ? ....

example : PanelView application accesses T22:19.PRE

Logix5000 mapping : File 22 to tag T22 (an array tag of data-type TIMER)

mapping converts T22:19.PRE to tag address T22[19].PRE

At least that's how I remember it works...

Last edited:
Here they are...
The *.apa is too big, but here is the tag database export. It is not 700 but 384 tags.

I attached the database with the original PLC5 addresses and the new database after conversion from PLC5 to Controllogix. Are the addresses converted correctly?
I have not imported the edited database yet.

The "PLC/SLC Mapping" feature of RSLogix 5000 only works with two of the basic atomic datatypes: 16-bit Integers and 32-bit Floating Point.

It will emulate "B" and "N" integer data tables, as well as "F" floating-point data tables.

But it doesn't emulate any of the compound datatypes in the PLC/SLC, like Timers or Counters (or Control blocks, or PID blocks, or anything else that's built out of structures of 16-bit data).

The good news is that this is a very efficient PanelView Plus application.

It addresses only six PLC-5 style data tables:

B53:0, Length 1
B73:0, Length 44
F78:0, Length 81
N67:0, Length 119
N77:0, Length 165

and one reference to String data table ST79. That can be re-addressed by hand.

It makes no references to Timer or Counter or Control sub-elements, so that's not an issue.

You can do this either way; make five entries in the Map PLC/SLC Addresses list, or do the re-import into FactoryTalk View ME.