Allen Bradley PLC 2

Logix_Stef

I have another piece of problem machinery: a test stand with a massive Allen Bradley PLC 2, no EEPROM module, no software backup, basically another disaster waiting to happen. With the aid of this forum and Mark who provided the lead I managed to backup the Allen Bradley SLC 100 controllers. Is there a similar, ( preverably inexpensive as it is a one off again ) way to back up the controller RAM? What lead would I need, what software - if a software is still available? I don't want to splash out loads of money as this is the only PLC 2 kit on site. Ideally a printout would help, this old system needs to be upgraded.:cool:

Thank you.

Do you know exactly which model of PLC-2 controller it is ? Some of the third-party software I've read about only supports specific models, thought these guys claim to be compatible with all models:

http://plc2software.com/plc-2-programming-cable.html

It may be easiest to have Rockwell Automation or a contractor who already has the tools and knows the procedures to come onsite and do an upload-and-printout for you.

Do you know exactly which model of PLC-2 controller it is ? Some of the third-party software I've read about only supports specific models, thought these guys claim to be compatible with all models:

http://plc2software.com/plc-2-programming-cable.html

It may be easiest to have Rockwell Automation or a contractor who already has the tools and knows the procedures to come onsite and do an upload-and-printout for you.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out the exact model later on. I don't know whether the PLC 2 is still supported by Rockwell.

RA only supports the PLC-2 in a consulting role; they discontinued building and repairing PLC-2 parts many years ago.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out the exact model later on. I don't know whether the PLC 2 is still supported by Rockwell.

At one time, our local A-B distributor was able to upload PLC 2 programs and provide a printout as they still had the software sitting around on a PC. Hopefully yours will be able to as well. It has been over a decade since I last checked in on this.

I just had a look, it is a AB PLC2 1772-LP1 Series B controller,
Three racks with two I/O adaptors. I followed Ken Roaches link to the software,
The price is very reasonable, considering it has the lead included as well.
Question now, is my system compatible with the software? I don't need to program, just download the ladder and save it to disk as a backup.

Any help is - as usual - much appreciated.

Regards,

Stefan.

Did you happen to find an interface module with a RS232 comm port on it as well?

Last edited:
Not that I noticed ...

There is a 15 pin female sub D connector on the processor card, the other cards are all 8bit I/O cards.

I'll double check in a minute.

That software claims to be compatible with "all models" of the PLC-2.

1772-LP1 is the "PLC-2/20" controller.

The serial port is not a normal RS-232 port; instead it's a current-loop serial port. That's why you need the special cable.

Thanks Ken,🍻
The price is very reasonable. A visit from RA would cost us alone 800 bucks without them doing anythin, just coming on site and 'assess' and travel expenses ( they are not local where I am based )

Cheers,

Stefan.