Bi-Coaxial Cable

allscott

I am installing some sensors from a German manufacturer that is calling for "Bi-coaxial line symmetric. Z=100ohm, maximum length 1.5M High Temperature resistant. min. 230 grd.c"

Is this what we would refer to as TwinAxial cable in North America? The closest thing I can find is a Belden part #89207.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/89207.pdf

Other than a slightly different temperature rating am I missing anything?

I have some blue hose here (Belden 9463) that I would like to try temporarily for testing. The only difference I see is a 78ohm rating instead of 100ohms as well as the temperature rating. I have honestly never quite understood the difference in impedance ratings of coax cable.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/9463.pdf

Thoughts? The sensors I am hooking up are basically antennas that are picking up a magnetic field.

Impedance matching is important for efficient transfer of power. An impedance mismatch will cause some or all of the signal to be reflected back to the source. It may work, but with reduced sensitivity.

If only for the test you could try with 2 balun transformers. They are very useful when you want to transmit AV signal(75ohm coax) over twisted pair (100 ohm, pair of UTP or FTP)
But only for test. It is not a thing that I would let work anywhere else, but on my desk.

I am installing some sensors from a German manufacturer that is calling for "Bi-coaxial line symmetric. Z=100ohm, maximum length 1.5M High Temperature resistant. min. 230 grd.c"

Is this what we would refer to as TwinAxial cable in North America?

Sounds like they're requesting coaxial cable. TwinAxial cable is twisted pair. Can't say that I've ever encountered "bi-coaxial" cable. Nor have I encountered coax with 100 Ohm impedance.

Sounds like they're requesting coaxial cable. TwinAxial cable is twisted pair. Can't say that I've ever encountered "bi-coaxial" cable. Nor have I encountered coax with 100 Ohm impedance.

According to Wiki (I know not always reliable) "Twinaxial is similar to coaxial but with two similar conductors". The Belden I listed has 100ohm rated impedance.

According to wikipedia, bi-axial and twin-axial are not the same.
edit: On the other hand, they said "bi-coaxial" which isnt listed in wikipedia.

Why dont you eliminate any doubt by asking the germans of an example of an acceptable cable ?

Last edited:

According to wikipedia, bi-axial and twin-axial are not the same.
edit: On the other hand, they said "bi-coaxial" which isnt listed in wikipedia.

Why dont you eliminate any doubt by asking the germans of an example of an acceptable cable ?

I guess that is what I will do. I was trying to save a bit of money by buying it locally. Absolutely everything in this system is exhobitantly priced. However the sensors are crucial to one of our major production lines so if their is any confusion it is probably best to just get it from them.

Interesting. That isn't coax. It's just twisted pair (twinaxial) cable with a braided shield. It's not really functionally different from AB blue hose.

And it doesn't appear to be any different then what I originally found.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/89207.pdf

AB blue hose is 78ohm characteristic impedance. That is the only difference I can find. The 89207 is 100ohm and high temperature rated.