PanelView 800 Not Found in RSLinx, can Ping

Bilollipop

Hello,
We're trying to get our PV800 on our network, but RSLinx is unable to detect it.
When I add the IP address to the Ethernet Driver, it shows up as unrecognized:
92mWhhX.png

We do have a firewall and a managed switch, but I've created a policy in the firewall settings to enable port 44818 as per this https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qr/comm-qr001_-en-e.pdf

The PanelView is currently connected via DHCP to our network, with an Initialized Status and Protocol DF1.
Currently on FW Ver: 6.011 (Boot Code: 5.013) using RS Linx Classic 4.00

Any ideas what I should do? Both my laptop and PanelView are on the same subnet.

Can you get a response from the PanelView 800 in a Web browser ?

In addition to good old built-in PING, try TCPing with the target port 44818, to see if your computer can get a TCP connection through its firewall (and the device at that IP is listening on that port, which all A-B devices should).

https://www.elifulkerson.com/projects/tcping.php

I presume you've verified that the PanelView is at that 192.168.1.103 address by looking at its actual configuration screens, and eliminated the possibility of a duplicate IP by unplugging it and verifying that PING fails.

Try also making an exception in your firewall for TCP Port 2222, an older A-B protocol that the RSLinx Classic Ethernet Devices driver likes to try and fail before trying port 44818.

The EtherNet/IP driver uses a broadcast packet so you have to carefully select which IP network it is connected to, and firewalls and VPNs often prevent it from working.

Narrow down your computer's NICs as well, of course; shut off WiFi, disable any VPN connections.

Can you get a response from the PanelView 800 in a Web browser ?

In addition to good old built-in PING, try TCPing with the target port 44818, to see if your computer can get a TCP connection through its firewall (and the device at that IP is listening on that port, which all A-B devices should).

https://www.elifulkerson.com/projects/tcping.php

I presume you've verified that the PanelView is at that 192.168.1.103 address by looking at its actual configuration screens, and eliminated the possibility of a duplicate IP by unplugging it and verifying that PING fails.

Try also making an exception in your firewall for TCP Port 2222, an older A-B protocol that the RSLinx Classic Ethernet Devices driver likes to try and fail before trying port 44818.

The EtherNet/IP driver uses a broadcast packet so you have to carefully select which IP network it is connected to, and firewalls and VPNs often prevent it from working.

Narrow down your computer's NICs as well, of course; shut off WiFi, disable any VPN connections.

No I'm unable to connect or access the configuration through the browser.
I think the firmware the PanelView is on doesn't support that (6.011) according to this

I'm also unable to get tcping to remain open. I thought it might have been an antivirus issue, but I disabled it and it still opens only for a moment.
The port does fail to connect according to RSLinx eventlog:

05/26/21 11:34:28 192.168.1.103 Device refused a CSPv4 connection, retry using EtherNet/IP
05/26/21 11:34:38 192.168.1.103 Attempting first connection, protocol = EtherNet/IP
05/26/21 11:34:40 192.168.1.103 Unable to establish TCP connection to the Ethernet Interface
05/26/21 11:34:40 192.168.1.103 [10061] Connection refused

I did verify that the IP address is unique, and it does fail to ping once unplugged.

I'd like to try a factory settings reset as the last option, but I'm starting to think it might just be the PanelView as plugging in the ethernet directly to my laptop bears similar results. Both with a crossover cable and a normal CAT 5e patch cable.

Thanks very much for those details !

To use TCPING, you have to open a CMD prompt window, then navigate to the folder where TCPING is located, then execute the command "TCPing 192.168.1.103 44818". If you just click on the icon or folder entry it does open/close because there were no arguments for it to process.

I haven't worked on a PanelView 800 for a while so my comments might just be conjecture.

Refusing a TCP Port 2222 connection is normal for an all-EtherNet/IP device that never supported classic CSPv4 to the PLC-5. That rejection is actually how RSLinx Ethernet Devices driver determines if a device is an old PLC-5E or a modern CIP EtherNet/IP device that supports all the Identity Object functions.

But when the PanelView 800 rejects the Port 44818 connection, that tells us that it's not running an EtherNet/IP driver.

When it comes out of the box, every PanelView Plus and PanelView 800 is running the driver for its serial port and its Ethernet port. You mentioned that it shows a DF1 driver so... it's possible it got loaded with a configuration that omitted an Ethernet driver. The Ethernet driver needs to be loaded and running in order to do an upload/download.

Yeah, we could have just used FTP or another file transfer protocol that never shuts off. But, we didn't.

I don't know of a way to re-enable the EtherNet/IP driver if it doesn't exist in the driver configuration, other than to download a new configuration over DF1 (or an SD card ? Can you do that on PV800 ?) or reset the terminal to defaults, which should leave it set up with Ethernet and DF1.

Thanks very much for those details !

To use TCPING, you have to open a CMD prompt window, then navigate to the folder where TCPING is located, then execute the command "TCPing 192.168.1.103 44818". If you just click on the icon or folder entry it does open/close because there were no arguments for it to process.

I haven't worked on a PanelView 800 for a while so my comments might just be conjecture.

Refusing a TCP Port 2222 connection is normal for an all-EtherNet/IP device that never supported classic CSPv4 to the PLC-5. That rejection is actually how RSLinx Ethernet Devices driver determines if a device is an old PLC-5E or a modern CIP EtherNet/IP device that supports all the Identity Object functions.

But when the PanelView 800 rejects the Port 44818 connection, that tells us that it's not running an EtherNet/IP driver.

When it comes out of the box, every PanelView Plus and PanelView 800 is running the driver for its serial port and its Ethernet port. You mentioned that it shows a DF1 driver so... it's possible it got loaded with a configuration that omitted an Ethernet driver. The Ethernet driver needs to be loaded and running in order to do an upload/download.

Yeah, we could have just used FTP or another file transfer protocol that never shuts off. But, we didn't.

I don't know of a way to re-enable the EtherNet/IP driver if it doesn't exist in the driver configuration, other than to download a new configuration over DF1 (or an SD card ? Can you do that on PV800 ?) or reset the terminal to defaults, which should leave it set up with Ethernet and DF1.

Thanks so much for the details and help, that makes a lot of sense.!

One last question, enabling the EtherNet/IP driver for the ethernet port will still allow it to talk to the PLC via Df1 right? It won't be expecting to communicate to the PLC with EtherNet/IP? Sorry if that doesn't sound right, just want to make sure in my pursuit of convenience I don't ruin our current functionality.

In my recollection, all PanelView (Component, 800, and Plus) will allow you to enable one driver for each physical port at the same time. I know for certain I've downloaded to PV Components over Ethernet on machines where they used DF1 to communicate with MicroLogix controllers.

When there are limitations (like on the PV+ "Compact Edition") they are on the number of Shortcuts to PLCs that are allowed in the communications schema.