IP camera to panel mounted dispaly

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
A customer wan't to show three IP cameras on three seperate displays. And he wan't them to be panel mounted into the control cabinet. I was thinking that a IP camera that connect direct to the display would be something. But I have never worked with IP cameras and I'm not sure where to begin the search. Most I find require a PC and I haven't found a panel mounted display either. He is optimistic so he don't want to spend a fortune. Any suggestion where to start my search?
/Tim

Some mfgs sell their own displays with their cameras? Or as Ken mentioned, open in 3 different browsers and have 3 monitors and extend each display.

Most IP camera's can be seen via a web browser, so you need to find a web display.
Problem with a monitor that shows a web browser is that I doubt that it can be programmed, so after a power loss it will not show the IP-camera. Or do you have any suggestions on a display that would fit?

Some mfgs sell their own displays with their cameras? Or as Ken mentioned, open in 3 different browsers and have 3 monitors and extend each display.

They do, but panel mounted is hard to find and I haven't got any PC connected so it needs to connect to a Ethernet directly to the display (or through a PoE switch).

I know Siemens Comfort panel can display IP cameras, but to achieve a good view I would have to go with large ones and they cost alot.

Can you install a small PC/rPi/something in the cabinet that will handle the browser. And connect a display, or several, to that machine.

You could make that machine boot in kiosk mode.
I would bet that a small machine + a rugged/industrial display is going to be cheaper than a HMI panel..

We love customers, wanting a simple cheap solution when it was them that made it complicated in the first place. :).

You have a few things to think about, your customer just saying an IP Camera doesn't tell you anything about how much data you are going to have to deal with. You need to know the resolution, how quickly they want to update the picture (frames per second), and the video compression codec that the camera uses. Then you need to know how busy the LAN currently is. From that you can calculate data use, and decided if it will live on the LAN you are connecting to.

As for a Video Decoder it might be worth looking at the Axis website:
https://www.axis.com/en-gb/products/axis-t8705-video-decoder

Do a web search for 'IP Video Decoders' or 'Network Video Decoders'.

Last edited:
RTSP compatible camera and use VLC to view the stream. Or use a raspberry PI to view the stream, lots of information online about it.

Last edited:
Ok, so after I searched a little bit I found a good monitor for 400$, a pack of 4 cameras and a NVR with HDMI output for 400$. Sounds like what I need