FactoryTalk View ME Log Username and Event

Snyd1

Hey guys,

I am looking to add a way of logging FactoryTalk View ME current user and when the user trigger a boolean (HMI PB) w/ timestamp. Ideally dropping to a USB in csv format. Has anyone ever accomplished something like this with either the Data Log modules or the Datastore Plus?

Users are setup using ME Runtime 4.00 and later.

Wondering if it is as simple as just using the data log model. Add my boolean tags, write the hmi username (CurrentUserName) or whatever to a plc tag and include this plc tag in the data log model as well. Only asking cause I have no way to test this atm, but would like to have an idea for when I do get to the site and not waste so much time.

I will have to dig into it. I found that the Data log model does not allow for strings which the (CurrentUserName) is. And the data log plus deal only allows for 100 floats and 50 strings...

Be honest I do not program much, very simple machines so at a loss how to get my boolean values into an INT or string and have a meaninful end result.

This is a feature that is a simple yes or no option in Crimson 3.x. I sometimes also trigger alarms where I show the user real name and what they changed. Then the change appears in the alarm list viewer and banner where everyone can see it. There might be a way to make the built in security log file visible on the HMI with a file viewer object, but I never tried that.

Making the operators a little bit paranoid about having their full name show up in the alarm list and banner makes for fewer mistakes. I have no idea if it is worth your trouble to upgrade to a Graphite or CR3000 series just for this functionality, just thought I would mention it.

Do you have assetcenter? You should be able to forward the audit logs from the HMI into the assetcentre server or a connected client device 11. It records all changes to the PLC tags and timestamp and user.

This is part of Rockwell's 21-CFR Part 11 implementations to FTViewME. It works well and is reliable, as long as configured correctly.

I'll try to find exact steps tomorrow, but it's in the panelview settings, not the project settings.

I don't know that the asset center is the solution I am looking for. It is a stand alone system at a customers site. Trying to find more information and if it is available with the toolbox we have.

I have used redlion crimson 3.x once or twice and the data logging is pretty straightforward I agree. If the customer really pushes for this feature going forward I might just look at tossing a DA30D in the panel and use that for logging or something. Or possibly play around with the maplesystem/weintek virtual HMI deal I have on the desk and see what I can get out of it.

I realize it is fun to bash FT, but it can do this easily. AssetCentre isn't required.

In FT Studio go to CSV Export and enable it. Then select Audit Information.

In the Path section, identify the destination for the CSV file. You can enter a destination for a PV+ 6/7. Read the help to see how to enter a path for a USB device. You can also enter a path for your PC so you can test the function during development.

In the Connections section, specify the tag that will trigger the export. The remaining fields are all optional. It does also let you enter an expression so you could trigger the export from one or more tag.

As for the data log not accepting strings, remember that the sole purpose for the data log in Machine Edition (at least from RA's view) is for trending. There would be no reason to trend a string, so strings aren't allowed in a ME data log. SE allows it, but not ME. When ME first came out, there wasn't even an ability to export a data log. (begin sarcasm) Because why would you. The data is only for trending, why would you want to see it anywhere else (end sarcasm). It took a few releases with people asking for that ability before they relented and finally allowed data logs to be exported.

OG

Last edited:
The CSV Export helps though as when I looked at the Audit Trail Setup it was fairly lacking in options. If I follow there isn't much control over what the audit trail logs when it says the following...

• Message - Information about a specific operator action executed
within the context of the running runtime application. For example,
the message for a tag write will include the tag being modified, and the
tag’s previous and new values.

I take this as it will log when an operator physically presses an HMI tag changing the boolean for 0 to1, but I am guessing it will NOT log other changes like the system has limit switches that make at end of travel after the run cycle has been initiated by the operator. Is this correct?

It will log operator actions.

If a switch closes and an indicator on screen changes state, that is not logged. If the operator presses a button to turn a tag on/off, that is logged.

OG

Thanks OG,

Helps a lot, think I am picturing how it functions now. This might work just fine for all the customer is looking for. I see there is also an object to add a graphical display which might be nice as well.