5069-IF8 3-Wire Conversion

FMBandit

Hey Hive Mind,

I am in the process of installing a L330ER with some 5069-IF8 IO cards. Some of my existing sensors are 3-wire 4-20mA. How are you guys converting signals to 2 or 4 wire?

Sensor +wire to power supply positive, -wire to power supply -/0V whatever you want to call it, signal wire to +input channel.

Would be my guess, if it doesn't like that you might require the same common from the powersupply on the -input of the channel.

Just a guess have not used these new cards much myself.

I have tried to use the sensor as a pseudo 4 wire (S+ to PS+, S0 to PS0, Sig to In+, PS0 to In-). The new IF8 cards don't do single point inputs apparently.

Interesting, this might be silly but I assume looking at it that the channels need configured as either voltage or current. You have configured the channel for current correct?

Looking at the product selection tool, the 5069-IF8 and the 5069-IY4 are the only two analog input options available. According to this manual, neither of those support three wire analog devices.

I agree, it is almost like the manual listing compatability, conflicts with the wiring diagram they show in the other for the "universal" 5069-IY4.

I don't know what they're doing with the manuals. Page 58 of the one I linked states clearly that single point transmitters are compatible. The manuals are dated few months apart. I guess I'll have to get an IY4 and just try it out.

A month too late, I know, but...

I saw this thread and thought "there's no way in the world a 5069-IF8 doesn't support 3 wire transmitters" and figured I'd find a working example onsite to prove it, then post back. I then promptly forgot about it.

But I remembered this morning, and yes, I have wired 2, 3 and 4 wire 4-20mA transmitters to a 5069-IF8 and it works just fine. I mean, how could it *possibly* support 2-wire sensors but not 3-wire? The PLC card has no way of even knowing if the transmitter has a third wire!

See my very artistic representation below. You have a two wire sensor and a three wire sensor. From the perspective of the IF8, it's getting a 4-20mA signal on the + terminal, and the current return path flows out of the - terminal back to the DC power supply. How could the card possibly know whether or not the transmitter has a third wire connected to ground or not?

The theory works in practice too - I connected a 3-wire pressure transmitter to a 5069-IF8 a few weeks ago and it worked just the same as the 2-wire transmitter next to it.

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 10.31.34 am.png

A month too late, I know, but...

I saw this thread and thought "there's no way in the world a 5069-IF8 doesn't support 3 wire transmitters" and figured I'd find a working example onsite to prove it, then post back. I then promptly forgot about it.

But I remembered this morning, and yes, I have wired 2, 3 and 4 wire 4-20mA transmitters to a 5069-IF8 and it works just fine. I mean, how could it *possibly* support 2-wire sensors but not 3-wire? The PLC card has no way of even knowing if the transmitter has a third wire!

See my very artistic representation below. You have a two wire sensor and a three wire sensor. From the perspective of the IF8, it's getting a 4-20mA signal on the + terminal, and the current return path flows out of the - terminal back to the DC power supply. How could the card possibly know whether or not the transmitter has a third wire connected to ground or not?

The theory works in practice too - I connected a 3-wire pressure transmitter to a 5069-IF8 a few weeks ago and it worked just the same as the 2-wire transmitter next to it.

Good on you for following up! He posted the same question on Reddit first, saying he was having trouble getting it to work. I noted that I also have working 3-wire transmitters on those cards so asked him a few questions about why he was having trouble. He never answered and instead posted the same question here :confused:

Thank you for posting the 3 wire solution. Made my heart flutter as we are looking at standardizing 400 sites with CompactLogix and ControlLogix...

Rockwell support is firm that a 3 wire device is not supported on the 5069-IF8 card. But, as you said, how the hell does the card know the diff between a 2 wire and 3 wire device. Seems very similar to connecting a 3 wire device to a 1756-IF8 card.

Cheers,