GE iFix General Questions

MATT116

Embarking on my first GE iFix project have a few general questions.

Per spec we must iFix 5.8 with historian for data logging.
Two 17" Touch Monitors
MODICON Quantum PLC. Unity Pro V11
Fanless computer with Win7pro 64 Embedded

The project is really small 10DI, 8DO, 32AI and 4AO. its a pilot to trouble shoot the larger process which apparently isn't working all that well. The customer wants the pilot to match the larger system as closely as possible control hardware wise.

I can handle the PLC part the iFix part is what I'm not sure about.
For configuration do use...
Node Type: SCADA?
Connectivity: Stand Alone?

Should I install iFix and historian together or separately? I've read somewhere its more desirable to install separately.

How do I setup the two monitors in iFix? Would it be one big monitor or container?

What driver should I use to connect to the PLC?

Any database setup tips & tricks?

Thanks,
Matt

NODE type:

either SCADA (or Server) or Client. Since you only have one machine, you would select SCADA since it is serving itself.

Connectivity: Stand-alone, since it's s single machine install.

Historian: not sure what you mean by together. Do you mean on the same machine? On such a small system there's nothing wrong installing it on the same machine but it's up to you.

Two monitor. I haven't done it but I assume you can just set up the PC to "Extend these displays" and set your iFix graphic size accordingly.

iFix standardize now on Kepware (rebranded to GE IGS Driver). I assume you bought the package with IGS-Modicon driver? That would be the best option. If not, I think they still include older proprietary drivers.

Thanks harryting

I think I read that historian can be embedded in iFix?? Or installing iFix then going back and installing historian. I'll have to dig around, see if I can find that again

I haven't bought a package yet but I'll be sure to get the IGS-modicon driver

In the old days, historian (legacy) is part of the package.

Now, they use something called Proficy Historian that is a completely separate program. You get free 100 tags to store in Proficy Historian unless you opt to buy more tags. Typically, you set up iFix to serve data to the historian or you can have historian get data from IGS directly. I think GE recommends to get data from iFix so you can get all the alarm info off tags etc. Keep in mind that iFix act as it's own OPC server. So the typical data flow goes like this.

(Data server, IGS) -> (iFix) -> (iFix OPC Server) -> (Proficy Historian)

iFix isn't the most newbie friendly HMI out there.

Great info thanks again.

That must of been what I was reading about.

I have lots of experience with FTView, Redlion, TIA Portal and a little Proficy machine edition.
A SCADA system is way overkill for this but that's what they want heck the we could of used a MICRO 800 and Redlion