Help with FT View SE Network Distributed Application Manager

bfranklin

All,

I recently upgraded a Factory Talk View SE network distributed application from Version 7 to 9, the upgrade went well and the application is running.

I am not trying use the Distributed Application Manager tool to backup the application but it fails.

I can backup the application using the HMI backup and restore tool

I have contacted RA support but they are unable to find a solution.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

The error log reads:
Logging started: 04/18/17 09:02:31
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:31 [INFO] Backup pre-checking : Checking APB file.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:31 [INFO] Backup pre-checking : Checking disk space.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:32 [INFO] Backup pre-checking : Checking FactoryTalk Directory Server.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:32 [INFO] Backup pre-checking : Checking HMI Server connectivity.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:37 [INFO] Backup : Starting to back up application 'Bolney 08_32 Steam Plant' to 'C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Bolney 08_32 Steam Plant.apb'.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:37 [INFO] Backup : Getting all HMI server information.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:39 [INFO] Backup : Backing up FactoryTalk Directory.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:22:41 [ERROR] Backup : Compression of HMI project 'FTVSE' failed.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:22:41 [ERROR] Backup : Backup failed! 0x80008008
Logging ended: 04/18/17 09:22:41

I have found that many 'modern' Rockwell applications fail with long file names or file names with spaces in them. Their 'Developers' seem to keep using old code libraries that can only handle 8.3 file names. May want to try that, but it's going to take some work.

All,

I recently upgraded a Factory Talk View SE network distributed application from Version 7 to 9, the upgrade went well and the application is running.

I am not trying use the Distributed Application Manager tool to backup the application but it fails.

I can backup the application using the HMI backup and restore tool

I have contacted RA support but they are unable to find a solution.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

The error log reads:
Logging started: 04/18/17 09:02:31
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:31 [INFO] Backup pre-checking : Checking APB file.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:31 [INFO] Backup pre-checking : Checking disk space.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:32 [INFO] Backup pre-checking : Checking FactoryTalk Directory Server.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:32 [INFO] Backup pre-checking : Checking HMI Server connectivity.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:37 [INFO] Backup : Starting to back up application 'Bolney 08_32 Steam Plant' to 'C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Bolney 08_32 Steam Plant.apb'.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:37 [INFO] Backup : Getting all HMI server information.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:02:39 [INFO] Backup : Backing up FactoryTalk Directory.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:22:41 [ERROR] Backup : Compression of HMI project 'FTVSE' failed.
08_32_Engineer 04/18/17 09:22:41 [ERROR] Backup : Backup failed! 0x80008008
Logging ended: 04/18/17 09:22:41

Have you tried backing up the application after a pc shutdown ?

Can you navigate to the link: 'C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Bolney 08_32 Steam Plant.apb'?
The topic isn't mine as you can see. I have another project name and the path to one. I just raised the existing topic so as not to spawn entities. My log is here
Code:
Logging started: 02/17/21 10:42:24
FERROS\some.user 02/17/21 10:42:24 [INFO] Backup pre-checking : Checking APB file.
FERROS\some.user 02/17/21 10:42:24 [INFO] Backup pre-checking : Checking disk space.
FERROS\some.user 02/17/21 10:42:25 [INFO] Backup pre-checking : Checking FactoryTalk Directory Server.
FERROS\some.user 02/17/21 10:42:28 [INFO] Backup : Starting to back up application 'some_project_name' to 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\SE\Archives\some_project_name1.apb'.
FERROS\some.user 02/17/21 10:42:29 [INFO] Backup : Getting all HMI server information.
FERROS\some.user 02/17/21 10:42:37 [INFO] Backup : Backing up FactoryTalk Directory.
FERROS\some.user 02/17/21 11:02:37 [ERROR] Backup : Compression of HMI project 'some_project_name_HMI' failed.
FERROS\some.user 02/17/21 11:02:37 [ERROR] Backup : Backup failed! 0x80008008
Logging ended:  02/17/21 11:02:37
I've done those backups a lot of times before on the same server. This error has appeared suddenly yesterday and it's not related to path or file names.

ID: BF26050 | Access Levels: TechConnect
FactoryTalk View SE Application Manager fails with error: Compression of HMI project failed

Have you any VBA applications running and stored local to any of the project folders? If there are *.exe files stored in such a manner you may throw this error.

ID: BF9241 | Access Levels: TechConnect
FactoryTalk View SE - Distributed Application Manager backup failed

This technote suggests "other" causes but I'll wait on your reply to the above first.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
ID: BF26050 | Access Levels: TechConnect
FactoryTalk View SE Application Manager fails with error: Compression of HMI project failed

Have you any VBA applications running and stored local to any of the project folders? If there are *.exe files stored in such a manner you may throw this error.

ID: BF9241 | Access Levels: TechConnect
FactoryTalk View SE - Distributed Application Manager backup failed

This technote suggests "other" causes but I'll wait on your reply to the above first.

Regards,
George

Thanks a lot. But if I had was the TechConnect Agreement I wouldn't have asked here.

Could you clarify what has been written in those articles, please? And I haven't any VBA applications running. Just for information - even test and example applications also produce the same error.

The bones of the first technote is in the comment I have already made on it and you have answered "no" to that. So that just leaves the second technote...

There are a few causes/solutions to work through but I am not going to blatantly copy from the technote to here. Sorry, Forum rules. But I will try to help you work through this.

Are you using Datalogs?

Edit: Please answer this question even though I reckon it is not likely the cause as the example projects which also throw the error are not likely to be using Datalogs.

Last edited:
The bones of the first technote is in the comment I have already made on it and you have answered "no" to that. So that just leaves the second technote...

There are a few causes/solutions to work through but I am not going to blatantly copy from the technote to here. Sorry, Forum rules. But I will try to help you work through this.

Are you using Datalogs?

Edit: Please answer this question even though I reckon it is not likely the cause as the example projects which also throw the error are not likely to be using Datalogs.

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I'm using the Datalog in the target project. But I've tried backup as including Datalog and without one. Also, I've tried to backup the test project that didn't use the Datalog. The result was the same in all cases.

Ok, have you any idea the size of the Datalog folder? If it's larger than 4 gigabytes (they can grow!) you should delete some of it's older contents and reduce its size. Then try backup again.

Ok, have you any idea the size of the Datalog folder? If it's larger than 4 gigabytes (they can grow!) you should delete some of it's older contents and reduce its size. Then try backup again.
I'm using ODBC connect to the Oracle database for all data logs on the server. So, the size of the datalog folder isn't more than a couple of megabytes due to some emergency files when connect was failed. I'm regularly merging ones via datalogmerge * command from the HMI server.

EDITED:
Yes, you've been right! I've found one HMI project with DLGLOG folder of more than 5 GB (facepalm). I'm sharing this server with other developers, unfortunately. Looking at all, my colleagues have used backup with datalog selected, and the compress task has been hanging up and blocks other such threads.

Thank you for the idea!

Last edited:
OK, that's good. Thank Rockwell though really. I just relayed their helpful information.

I'm not 100% on whether you are saying you are "on to something" or that you have "resolved" this issue? Do let us know either way for future readers, thanks.

Regards,
George

Are you using Datalogs?

What are you losing when you don't back up the datalogs?
Huge difference in the size of backups!