Signal wire with power wire

theripley

Good day everyone.

I need to install an interlink wire for run signal from 1F panel to 2F panel. Approximately the total length would be 200m. The only way I can do this is if I run the I/L wire together with the power line. I know that signal line must be separated from the power lines but there is just no other way.

My questions are:
1. Will the run signal be affected?
2. Do I need to use a shielded type of cable?

Please help. Thanks.

I assume this will be a digital signal the higher the voltage the less chance of major interference, however it is not a good idea to run power & signals in the same trunking/conduit. If there is no other option then yes use shielded cable. It will also depend on other factors, are the power cables shielded ?, Is there intermittent large loads on the power ?, there are so many factors that might cause interference, however I have seen installations where motor cables(singles) and screened signal cables in the same trunking of approximately 60-70 meters that seem to work (not installed by me I haste to add).
But if at all possible at least try to separate the cables by a few inches at least. I have seen where a signal cable needed to be installed along the same route as power cables and in some cases the screened cable was tywraped to the outside of the trunking/conduit or on the edge of a tray to keep a little distance between the cables.

Thanks a lot parky.

Yes, we are basically running an on-off signal only. The power lines I saw are coming from transformer yard, about 200mm2 wire size. We will do as you recommend to tie it on the edge of the cable ladder and create a few inches distance from the rest of the power tires.

Any supply from a transformer could have quite high spikes, in saying that I worked on an installation where a PLC located next to a distribution panel (1.5MW) so quite large, had analogue & 24v digital signals running along the same tray as all outgoing cables without problems. There was also 3 AB power monitors on this and a total of 12 in all over the plant, the Cat 5 cables were also routed along the power cable racks (all bunched at edge so about 2" separation), again this did not pose any problems.