How do I search for a particular instruction in Studio 5000

dnlerwin

I usually do production support and I am the guy that comes behind someone else's program and try and debug.Often I see code that looks like this. Sequence routine

EQU(0,Sequence)------do something--------MOV(10,Sequence)
EQU(10,Sequence)------do something--------MOV(20,Sequence)
EQU(20,Sequence)------do something--------MOV(30,Sequence)
EQU(30,Sequence)------do something--------MOV(0,Sequence)

its great

But they often have in some other routine somewhere an instruction like

----Oh yeah if this happens----------MOV(0,Sequence)

So I want to be able to search for "MOV(0,Sequence)"specifically. If i search for Search for "Sequence" it returns to many results.

Right-click on a tag and select Cross Reference. This only shows where that tag is used in logic as opposed to all the documentation that might use that word.

In the Cross Reference results, look at the field that says "destructive" if it says "Y" then that instruction affects that tag. Turns it on/off or changes its value. If it says "N" then that instruction looks at that tag but doesn't affect it. We are almost always looking for the destructive ("Y") usage.

OG

can you save the program as a pdf? then a regular string search would work e.g. [Control-F](0,Sequence or [Control-F](0,[space]sequence.

By default, the Logix 5000 software doesn't allow searching for instruction types using there three letter codes. But it can. And you can combine the instruction type with a tag name.

1. Go to Search and select Find
  2. Click the Find Within button
  3. Under Components on the left, select Ladder Diagrams
  4. In the Options field on the right select Instructions
  5. Type the three letter code (ie MOV) then a space followed by your tag name

Something like MOV Sequencer (it is not case-sensitive)

You can type a partial tag name if you wish. But the order must be: instruction three letter code, space, tag name. I don't think you could search for two addresses though (MOV Sequencer CurrentState). I can't make that work.

The Find Within setting will be remembered in the future. You would only need to enable it once.

OG

Search.png

Last edited: