Send email from stock MicroLogix 1100 on bit state?

TimD

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, I have a MicroLogix 1100 PLC with Ethernet configured and all is working.

My boss asked me if it was possible to send an email based on an alarm condition.

I figured, since the PLC has Ethernet, perhaps this was possible.
I went to RockwellAutomation.com and sure enough, the text description of the CPU lists email support under Features.

I have RSLogix 500, and looked up a few Explicit Message instructions, but nothing EMAIL specific, just peer-to-peer.

Anyone use an 1100 to send an email? Any help appreciated.

I'm aware (and use) of the WebPort, but I don't want to buy one for this small project (2 alarms total). Thanks!!!

A simple search at Rockwell's knowledge base at
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/knowledgebase/ using the term "Micrologix 1100 email" gave a few technotes on the subject and information on what pages in what manual to refer to.

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rockwellautomation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=37000

FRN 4 supports email functionality. Please reference publication 1763-RM001B, Chapter 21 for information on configuration.

The FRN4 firmware upgrade can be found at http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix1100/downloads.html

All MicroLogix 1100 processors can be flashed to FRN 4.

Thanks Alaric,

I'm already deep into the 1100 instruction set reference guide, I flashed the CPU to FRN-7 this morning.

I know it is definitely possible, looks like the MSG instruction will be key. I'll be having fun tonight!

Tim

Tim

Please share back with the forum your final solution - I've never tried this with an 1100 but I can think of several uses for it. For one I've got a chiller that sits forgotten and ignored in an equipment closet that speaks modbus - could be nice to email alarms.

Hello, I figured it all out! Whew...

First, make sure your processor firmware and programming software have the appropriate revision, hotfix, version number etc.

On a MicroLogix 1100, you need the latest firmware (FRN 4 or higher (I am using 7)) and Also, make sure your CPU is a Rev. B!!! Rev A does NOT support SMTP!

Setup is a bit convoluted, you need to set up two more data files in Logix 500, a ROUTING (mine: RI11) and an EMAIL STRING (mine: ST12)

Then, the MSG block is your friend. Be sure to add a MESSAGE data file (mine: MSG10) READ the Instruction Set details on SMTP and MSG, they are explained together in the manual!

Please look at the MicroLogix 1100 Instruction Set Reference around pages 420-430 It's all there (in sometimes broken English) The PDF document: 1763-RM001B-EN-P

You are allowed to send two text fields, a subject line, and a body. Both have a max char limit, but a lot can be said. If you want to send numeric or text data from data files, I could not use Long, or Float for some reason. Integer files worked perfect. Again, it's hidden in those 10 or 15 pages.

Make sure your ML1100 is programmed with a proper IP address, Subnet, Gateway AND at least one DNS server. You will not be able to send email if you fill in the DEFAULT DOMAIN NAME field (unless you know it, and it happens to work, I had to leave that field blank).

If you follow the example in the manual, you'll be sending SMTP mail in no time. Make sure you have a server to route through, GMAIL and other free mail servers may not work, as they authenticate on certain ports (995, etc.), everything needs to work on port 25, which is SMTP. I use DynDNS.com for about 15 bucks per year, you can set up an email relay that works across many PLC platforms (AD, Sensaphone, AB, etc.) I've tried it, and it's great. I use them for 4 sites now, my account is $20 per year, and I can reference each PLC by domain name to boot!

Also, when setting up Linx, set up your ML1100 as an "Ethernet Device" not an Ethernet/IP. Fill in your static IP in Linx, and you'll be remote programming in seconds. What a great little processor.

All this most-likely will work on ANY AB PLC with Ethernet.

Good luck and feel free to PM me for advice. I'm working on an alarm system logic now for web ACK, etc.

Cheers

Hey TimD I'm currently working with the rslogix 1100 trying to send an e-mail and I'm not sure how to get the e-mail sending mainly with the smtp ip address can you offer any insight into how to setup the ip for the chan 1 - smtp e-mail server?

Hello- my isp comcast blocks port 25. is that the reason why I am not able to send out emails? I called comcast and they said they cannot unblock 25. Is it possible to change the outgoing port # for Micrologix 1100? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Karthik

Tim,

I am trying to get email from ML 1100 which has a static IP. The msg function done bit is set but I never get any email. I have the following

MG11:0.0/ST = 0
MG11:0.0/DN =1
MG11:0.0/ER =0

any thoughts on whats going on.

Thanks
Karthik

Tim,

I am trying to get email from ML 1100 which has a static IP. The msg function done bit is set but I never get any email. I have the following

MG11:0.0/ST = 0
MG11:0.0/DN =1
MG11:0.0/ER =0

any thoughts on whats going on.

Thanks
Karthik

Did you ever get it working?? I am having the same problem of my ISP blocking 25. Also I keep getting a d4 error. I have tried many different DNS but no luck. Any thoughts

I got it working. Comcast business does not block port 25. While comcast home service blocks port 25. used aspmx.l.google.com as the email server. And Iam getting emails from ML1100.

Thanks for the info!. I will give that address a try. I have been having issues also with addresses verses a IP address as my DNS is not working right

I'll let you know